Monday, December 02, 2013

Out of the mouths of pre-tweens...

Hi. Pushing gingerly through the stale cobwebs to peek out again, hoping there may still be some reader out there with good ideas to share.

So yesterday, Olivia, now seven and a half (!), announced her intention to have a little sister. It's been a couple of years since our last Big Discussion on this topic so I launched into a quick overview of how I'm too old and she loves her brothers and she has so many close friends that are like sisters... And then she said, "Fine, you're old, but I'm not and I want a sister, so why don't you just adopt!" And she said it with such a perfect eye-roll, hand on hip, what-EVER tone of voice...how could I not share that?

And while adoption is not something we're looking to pursue at this point, I am feeling a very strong and possibly selfish desire to get involved somehow in the lives of children. I'm looking for any advice someone might like to share on ways to have a direct impact, something more than a donation or data entry. I've thought about a couple of options--Big Sisters and CASA--but don't know anyone who has participated in either one. Do you? Or have you helped some other way that you'd recommend to someone without much exposure or background but a fair amount of enthusiasm?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugs! You're back. It's Anne from Let's Generate. Not blogging myself but still check the old crew now and then. You know Grrl could resurface. She could! Anyway, heard an NPR interview the other day about Big Sisters and they said mentors are always needed but especially at the holidays. The key is to make a long-term
commitment cause the main thing many of these kids are missing is stability.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend looking into your local CASA. I was a CASA volunteer for several years and now sit on our local board because I believe strongly in the power of this program to improve the lives of children in foster care. One caveat: it could be challenging to devote the time you want to devote when you have young kids at home. But many programs have a variety of mentor/advocate roles that could still be a good fit.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

Hello,
I am a psychologist and a blogger (http://docgrumbles.wordpress.com). I am currently conducting a survey of bloggers who post about pregnancy, fertility, adoption, pregnancy loss, and parenting. I would like to extend an invitation for you to complete the brief survey found here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MLVBHDG
(I am very sorry to leave this in a comment like a spammer!)
Thank you so much!
Dr. Grumbles

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home