Friday, March 18, 2011

Unceasing yuck

I hope you don't mind if I bleat and whine ungratefully here but I feel like I just can't take it anymore. I need to find some way to control my nausea or I'm going to lose my job, alienate my family and possibly cause actual harm to my person.

This is, without question, the worst morning sickness of my life. I am nauseated every minute of every day, with incessant waves of that disgusting salivation, shakes and cold forehead sweat that normally precedes the relief of actual puking but in my case lead to...nothing. I cannot vomit, even when I really try, probably because, within ten minutes of eating anything substantive, my stomach rebels utterly and I have to...there just isn't a good way to put this...maybe "find a restroom." Quickly. Is that delicate enough?

I have lost six pounds in two weeks, and now find myself scraping up against the lower border of the "Healthy" BMI. If I were actually throwing up, I'm pretty sure this would qualify as hyperemesis. But without the emesis, is it something to worry about or do I just wait it out? I was so distracted by that beautiful heartbeat that I forgot to bring up the subject with the new RNP on Tuesday, and I've Googled enough to know that avoiding dehydration is the primary concern, so I'm sipping warm water and trying not to let the smell of it nauseate me further. (I'm not kidding: warm water is on my no-smell list, along with my children's hair, the carpet in the elevator at work, any flower, any cleaning product, any food item and, finally, my own breath, which is suddenly horrible.)

I am currenty subsisting on an around-the clock trickle of Wheat Thins, mini-pretzels and dry toast. Anything with sugar, acid or fat causes an almost immediate reaction. Those foods that helped me in my prior pregnancies are no longer tolerable--lemonade, applesauce, cheese, eggs and anything else that sounds even marginally appetizing during those fleeting moments of hunger just evacuates immediately.

I have been unable to concentrate at work and have had to take off early or come in late every day this week. With my boss out and the resulting avalanche of extra work, I am just getting buried and don't have enough strength to even start scratching out an air hole. I cannot play with the kids or help around the house. All I can do is lie on my side and pant shallowly, waiting for relief. Even typing this post has exacerbated the queasiness.

If there's ANYTHING--anything at all--that worked for you, I fervently hope that you will share it. I am desperate and need to find some way to get back to a functional state.

10 Comments:

Anonymous jlp said...

I wasn't nauseated from my pregnancies but from my kidney stone -- I couldn't keep water down. The doctor put me on Zofran, and it helped, a lot. I've read of women who have used it in pregnancy, so maybe it's worth a shot?

6:28 PM  
Blogger VHMPrincess said...

I have no suggestions but man, do I feel for you, that sounds so rough - I'd call the DR right away for some relief!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Suzanne H said...

Having never been pregnant my suggestion will likely be no help whatsoever but I so want to help ... What about ginger anything? Ginger candies, ginger tea, real ginger ale, ginger cookies, ginger root, the pickled ginger that comes with sushi - ginger is supposed to help, right?

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Carla Hinkle said...

You sound like a candidate for Zofran, to me. It's so far past the normal level of pregnancy nausea I think you need to do something more serious.

Some tricks that worked for some pregnancies and not others: Coke. Sea bands. Gum (oh god, for the last one I had to have a piece of gum in my mouth 24/7.) NOT ginger (it made me MORE nauseous).

But for you I think Zofran.

9:07 PM  
Blogger 4katnap said...

How do lemons smell to you? Licking a leon helped em. Also ginger but PLEASE call the dr and ask about the Zofran. I've heard loads of PG women use it sucessfully. You need help. ASAP!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Melanie said...

You said you couldn't do lemonade, but what about warm water with some lemon squeezed in it? I had nausea with all three pregnancies, and water with lemon was all I could drink. Plain water made me... well, nevermind. There were also times when I drank a plain old Coke, and I'm not a soda drinker at all. If nothing works, don't wait this out for long. Call your doctor and get something for it... and good luck. We're all pulling for you :)

6:49 AM  
Anonymous April said...

I too had extreme nausea at the beginning of my current pregnancy that only produced labored dry heaves and general feelings of blahness, unable to do much of anything.

My doctor suggested half a tablet of Unisom and 25mg of vitamin B6, can be taken every 4 hours as needed. While I found it helped, it also made me very drowsy and I was only able to take it when I was at home and not planning to be anywhere else. She also ended up prescribing me phenergan but that also made me drowsy so I basically just took what I could in the evenings and pushed through that first trimester.

While I don't have that extreme nausea now at 21 weeks, I'm still dry heaving about 1-2 times a week. It's so weird I'm not actually vomiting because I did with my first two children! But now, at least I feel like I can control the nausea by eating snacks.

Hang in there and if the Unisom/B6 doesn't help definitely ask your doctor. You shouldn't have to suffer!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Kerri said...

Oh my gosh, you poor, poor thing. Call your MD for the love of Pete and get some Zofran. You've suffered long enough.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im here to shout the praises of zofran- you dont have to actually BE vomiting to feel horrible. i made it through the first 20 weeks by eating chocolate around the clock. and pretty much nothing else. try ANYthing to keep you hydrated- gatorade, juice, etc.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never commented before but had to b/c I know you're suffering. With my 2nd and 3rd children I took zofran. There is a generic called "Ondansetron" which works the same. It is a medication given to chemo patients to help with nausea and it really truly works. This drug is expensive and some insurance won't cover it or only will in limited quantities. If you run into that problem ask your OB to prescribe the 8 mg pills and cut them into fourths so each little piece of pill is 2 mg worth of medication. If your insurance is stingy this is the way to go. My insurance would only give me (12) 8 mg pills per 30 days so cutting up a higher dosage is one way to get a bit more medication (the lower dosage pills ie 2-4 mg were allowed slightly more but not as much as (12) 8 mg cut up. I rationed mine (they were like gold to me) and used them mostly at night as the nausea kept me from sleeping. With enough sleep I could mostly function but would sometimes take another 2 mg in the morning to get me through the worst of the day. It's a safe med - both of my kiddos that I took it with turned out just fine. Phenegran is OK but like the previous poster mentioned will make you drowsy and it never helped me all that much. Like you, I was desperate for some relief and my OB is an angel who understood that and prescribed it for me no problem. You can call in to your OB's office to request it so hopefully you won't have to go in for a visit. As for foods/drinks and smells - I feel your pain. I can still summon up the memory of the horrid nausea that I had 24/7. Not much vomiting but tons of nausea. Worst feeling ever! You will be able to function and even eat on the zofran (Ondansetron) it's that good. I hope you get some relief soon :)

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home