Friday, March 25, 2011

The next hurdle

In less than two weeks, I'm going in for a CVS procedure. Much to my surprise and relief, CVS can be done as early as ten weeks' gestation, with results 10-12 days after that. So before the pregnancy is obvious to strangers, I would know about any major chromosomal abnormalities and have the option to terminate.

I think about this a lot. I think about the age-related increase for both screen-able and undetectable problems, about whether it is selfish to have even tried for another child at my age, and about how unreasonably lucky I am to be in this position of possibility at all.

As a good friend reminded me not too long ago, it only takes one. One good egg. I can't do much now except hope this is that one good one, and wait (nauseously, nervously) till there's an answer from the lab.

5 Comments:

Blogger Foxxy One said...

Saying a prayer that everything is okay and that you are not faced with any scary decisions.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Kerri said...

Thinking of you and praying for good results. Are you feeling any better with the Zofran?

10:42 AM  
Blogger J said...

I had CVS done twice, both times at SF Perinatal (www.sfperinatal.com) with Dr. Goldberg. Though the procedure itself was unpleasant, I've never had such a positive medical experience in terms of the staff. They know their stuff.

Anyhow, I'm sure you've already researched this extensively, and I know you don't know me from Eve, but I'd be happy to talk to you about my experiences.

6:34 AM  
Blogger J said...

Hm, I don't know if you can access my email address or not, so, it's: jlp + main at gmail dotcom

6:35 AM  
Blogger illahee said...

i've been behind with my blog reading (damn that bloglines) so i haven't been keeping up lately. HOWEVER, i am keeping everything crossed for you and sending best wishes for this pregnancy.

i also want to convey my deepest sympathies to your boss and his wife. i can't even begin to imagine what they are going through.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home