Thursday, September 30, 2010

The annoying innocence of youth

So I finally went to my GP's office today to see if this abhorrent sore throat and cough might respond to some antibiotics. My doctor was out (sick, of course) but her PA was available--young, sweet, earnest and, apparently, totally unfamiliar with the basics of human reproduction.

Let me back up for a second. This afternoon, I finally got my beta from Tuesday: 35. At something like 20 DPO. So, clearly and obviously not viable, as expected. End of story. When Perky PA asked me why I hadn't been taking anything stronger than Tylenol, I mentioned that I had been pregnant but that it was about to end. Clearly confused, she asked how I knew, so I mentioned the hCG number and the DPO and figured that would give her the full picture.

But...no. Instead, she insisted, despite my repeated protestations, on prescribing only Class B antibiotics for the raging bronchial infection and strep-type throat hamburger that is nearly precluding me from swallowing. Because, she said, You never know!

Except, of course, that I do.

***
On a related note, she also found that I have a substantially enlarged thyroid, with a mass on the left side. (Just when I thought I had finally gotten to a nice thyroid stasis, with my alternating 100 and 88 mcgs and the noticeable reduction in anxiety once I was no longer overmedicated.) So I provided the vampires with a thick, syrupy vial of blood and am scheduled for a thyroid ultrasound tomorrow. I personally believe that the mass is related to whatever has attacked my lungs and throat, so I am not (yet) freaking out about the small chance that it's cancerous. And even if it is, my thyroid and I have never gotten along, so any surgeon is most welcome to it.
Oh, oh! I almost forgot: She said that with my thyroid fixed up, I probably wouldn't have any trouble getting pregnant in the future.
At 41.
With a nice long history of infertility.
Right there in my chart.
Yeah.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brandy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I'm working very hard on becoming a part of the trained medical community right now. One of the reasons is because of people like that. Seriously, how dimwitted can you get? So sorry you had to deal with that on top of everything else.

And I'm glad you found me too. :-) The last few years have been more than a little insane for us but it's nice to know there are people out there that remember you and think nice thoughts of you. Your comment absolutely made my day.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had exactly the same symptoms raging sore throat and cough, GP treated sore throat with antbiotics. I got better but a few weeks later I became so down, I thought I was depressed. Thyroid scan showed 2 nodules, one was 3.5 cms. Was medicated with cytomel. I decided to see an endocrinologist who diagnosed me with subacute thyroiditis. That anxiety you felt may have been the beginning of the cycle when your thyroid was producing loads of hormones. You may want to get a second opinion.

Portlairge

4:09 PM  
Anonymous cass said...

Ah, that sweet, charming innocence.... makes you want to cram it down their throats sometimes, doesn't it?

So sorry you're still feeling so yuck, and hoping despite her protestations that you get the good meds or whatever else you need to be on the mend.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home