Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Expect the expected

Today I had my annual performance review. It is the worst review I have ever received, at any job, at any stage of my twenty-year career, bar none. Sitting in a windowless conference room, reviewing my boss's myriad dissatisfactions with me and trying to keep myself from Saying Something I Would Regret Later, I distracted myself rather successfully by imagining how quickly I would forget this humiliating review in the unlikely event that I was pregnant. That worked really well until, quite unambiguously, my period arrived. And I had another hour of condescending, self-esteem-pummeling review to sit through.

What a fucking day.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

Well, crap. I'm so sorry, honey.

5:54 AM  
Blogger teridr said...

I'm so sorry. I don't know if it makes much of a difference, because I'm usually a lurker, but I really believe in you.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Cass said...

Ugh. That sucks all around. So so sorry.

I still think you're the bee's knees, though. :)

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Sue said...

What a fucking day indeed! So sorry it went that way.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous stephanie said...

Ugh. Thant really sucks. How long before you can go home and have a nice big glass of wine?

12:06 PM  
Blogger anna said...

So sorry, sweetness.

I'm thinking of you -- sending you love.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Talk about adding insult to injury. I'm sorry, and I hope things work out with the job for the better. And with your uterus.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Tracey said...

Late, but still very sorry to hear about your Wednesday. And, you know, the other.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous dee said...

Ugh. "Talk about kicking someone when they're down" so to speak--thanks body :(

Sorry to hear about both the review and the period.

12:18 PM  
Blogger linda said...

OMG, that is a terrible thing to endure. I am starting a new job and am rereading a book that is helpful for people in all stages of their career on dissecting what is really going on when crap like this happens. It's called "Corporate Confidential".

I haven't been by in a long time...I'll have to read a bit and see where things are you for besides having this crappy boss!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home