Friday, September 12, 2008

Did I mention that the sky is blue?

Today is one of those days that just begs to be shared with nice people and your favorite beer. It's Friday, the weather is mild and pleasant, the canna lillies are in bloom (bright orange! Bright red!), Olivia hugged her brother without prompting and I managed to hold my own in the fast lane of our local pool for four whole laps. (To be fair, the fast lane of our local pool is not precisely fast. It would, I am fairly certain, be the medium lane in any pool that was not primarily frequented by the brown-and-leathery over-sixty set. But still! I am not all that far from AARP membership myself, so I feel rather chuffed.)

I'm starting to get a few daily whiffs of energy and optimism. I'm guessing that it might have to do with the fact that Josh started sleeping through the night right after he mastered walking last month. I have also decided to stop blaming myself for his first 10.5 months of bad sleep--something I had regularly beat myself up over, lo these last six or seven months. Seems to me that Josh and Olivia were both just naturally opposed to sleep till they hit that same age, and that there wasn't a good goddamned thing I could have done about it. Funny how getting a little sleep allows me to stop blaming myself for the kids not getting any sleep. Sleeplessness is a cruel dictator.

Speaking of cruel dictators, time is just such another, especially when it comes to the sour wrinkles and age spots on my rapidly deteriorating skin. I'm guessing the sun and chlorine are not exactly helping me turn back the clock, but I have a small dilemma: every form of waterproof sun block I've tried causes me to break out in full-on fourteen-year-old-boy zits. I've tried all the hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, oil-free options I can find in Target, but still the zits. If any Wise Internet has a recommendation, please take pity on me and my deepening brow furrows.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marie-Baguette said...

So happy to read you again! Max (my son) started to sleep through the night around 11 months too. I think he was hungry -- he usually woke up around 3 or 4 and needed some milk. Or maybe it was the trash trucks? Anyway, don't feel guilty. Most parents just lie about their babies sleep habits. I only knew Max did not sleep through the night because I am keeping a very detailed log. Otherwise, I would have pretended he was a great sleeper.
PS: for sunscreen, have your tried mineral sunscreens?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen_controversy

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are getting brighter on your end. It's astonishing what a little more sleep can do for your mental health!

As for blaming yourself for your son's sleep habits--I totally empathize, but also realize how futile it is. If only we really had that much control over those things!

I hope you, J., and your gorgeous kids are well. You are often in our thoughts.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Jenn said...

Sleep deprivation is horrible.

Glad things are looking up :)

8:07 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

Sleep deprivation is the worst! I am very relieved that it's getting better, and wish I knew of a sunscreen that didn't make me break out, too. And I'm of the northern-Eurpoean complexion that really should know these things, too. ;-)

8:02 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

I was looking for a distraction from the constant boning up (am 2 exams away from finishing this degree, *faints*) and here you were! And still so very prone to being terribly hard on yourself. I'm very glad you're sleeping, people don't understand what lack of sleep does, they just don't.

I have rotten skin, psoriasis is a pissy thing, and I second the mineral suncreens. I use Avene, the regular beach one and also the daily one that is slightly tinted. Alright, I am trying to remember to use the daily one. There's another one, will ask my doctor friend and report back.

PS - Lovely to read you again.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

so good to hear from you, and isn't josh doing well- walking very early! Did Olivia do that too? It sounds like a lovely day.

Sorry can't help re sunblock, my skin is a nightmare having been tortured in the thai sun three summers in a row in my early thirties.

11:43 AM  
Blogger anna said...

sweets!

i don't know about the sunscreen specifically, but this whole premature menopause thing has done a major number on my skin -- acne for the first time ever and a splotchy complexion.

i've tried all kinds of things and the line that seems to work for my changing skin is murad, which is expensive but really works. Their Essential C line is really good for protecting your skin from the sun and other elements and the essential C day and night moisturizer are heaven (and aren't too perfume-y, which you know I appreciate). The day moisturizer has an spf of 15. My sense in trying different things is that any facial moisturizer with an spf over 15 is greasy and can cause breakouts.

They also tout anti-aging effects, which I used to ignore until I realized that premature menopause = premature skin aging; it turns out that I'd like to slow down some of the drastic changes that are happening to my body!

Murad also has a newer line, which I'm using now, because it addresses two of the early menopause things in particular: acne and loss of moisture. I don't think you'll feel like using these for at least a decade, but if there's anyone else out there who's going through PM, this stuff is great. It makes me feel like I'm my biological age (38) again.

Cons:

1) Murad is hella expensive (at least for me), but it's been worth it; when everything else is falling apart, it's nice to feel like at least my epidermis is being taken care of! If you buy it at Sephora, they'll give you tons of free samples, too, which is good.

2) It's not all natural, which I would prefer.

Pros:

1) It works.

2) They don't do any testing on animals.

Sorry about the long comment, but I've been trying these things out over the past year. Like you, I've never really been into makeup or beauty stuff, so had to start from scratch. There have been many abandoned skin care regimens along the way!

Lemme know if you want to know more -- or, next time I see you, you can try my stuff.

Love to you and the family -- I'm so glad you're finally getting a breather.

11:56 AM  
Blogger anna said...

ps. Forgot the name of the newer stuff for "hormonal aging" (woooooty!): it's called "Resurgence."

Wait until menopause -- there is so much talk of renewal, resurgence, a new freedom, etc. I was skeptical at first; it almost felt like a 'branding' of the experience. But there is something to all of that talk. It can be a wonderful, freeing time, whether it's happening at the 'appropriate' chronological age or not...

Ok, enough babble from me.

xxoo

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home