Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Selfless

A life-long friend, always Mary to my Half-Pint, the one friend my sister and I shared willingly over the years and who is still among the people I am closest to in the world, informed me a few days ago that she is eleven weeks' pregnant with her first donor egg cycle. This friend who means so much to me, who shared in my infertility struggles, knew all along that she would not be able to have biological children, knew she would have to go down the road even further than I, but never said a word. She comforted me, cheered me on and took joy in my success without a hint of frustration or jealousy.

I don't think I really understood selflessness until the babies came, and then it seemed like the overriding requirement, and the highest hurdle. But Suz, my good, kind friend, you are already there--you've mastered the hardest part of motherhood.

3 Comments:

Blogger tonya said...

I am so happy for your friend. It's always nice to hear of another IF who clears the next hurdle! I'm glad you have such a great friend, and would bet she's equally grateful and happy for your friendship.

12:28 PM  
Blogger OvaGirl said...

Great news re your friend. She sounds like she will be a great mother. (And... enjoyed the "Little House" reference!)

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

I'm trying to recreate the list of blogs I used to read on a regular basis and so glad I could still find you! :D

(I used to be at infertilityisfunny.blog-city.com...now I'm at www.fireflycafe.blogspot.com)

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home