Sunday, February 17, 2008

Things

In the long years before Olivia and Joshua, I would, not too often, let myself imagine who I'd be as a mother, the grand roles I would play, the different "me"s I'd be: a teacher and a student, doctor and nurse, maid and playmate, nurturer, rulemaker, enforcer, coach, comforter. To some extent, yes, I guess I am most of those, at least some of the time. More often, though, it is the things I am--the physical items I stand in for--that are the essence of who I am now, what my life is now.

Like today. Today I am Kleenex. I am also a hand towel, a doormat, a scratching post and a chair; a ladder, a radiator, an engine and a lift.

I am a garbage disposal, swallowing half-chewed bites of soda bread from my daughter's proffering hand. I am an uncomplaining post against which she leans when in need of a rest.

I am a Jack-in-the-box and a radio. A Crayon-hued canvas. A carousel. A conveyance. A Cuisinart.

I'm a barrier. A windshield. A purse. A pacifier. Food.

I am a soft, conforming pillow for a dreaming, peaceful boy. And I am his blanket.

I am all these things. Taken together, I suppose they are a role after all--the universal role of Mom.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

And a really good one, at that!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Yes. I love this. It is the way it is, isn't it. And so good.

12:01 PM  
Blogger laura said...

Well said. A lot of things that could turn into a string of complaints are woven into a beautiful picture of a strong mother. Kudos.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Cass said...

Yes. Just... yes. So beautifully put. :)

1:36 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yes. these are the days, and the roles, that are the most cherished.

1:38 PM  
Blogger 4katnap said...

Said so perfectly, so lovingly, I'm glad you can see the wonder of being a mom.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Yes and right now I am a carrier and a provider of dummies (pacifiers). Glad to hear my roles will become a bit more varied as time goes on!

12:33 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Hey - you and I are utilised for the same purposes, imagine that!

A lovely post, thank you.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jennij said...

So well put. I love reading your blog. This is the first time that I have posted but I have been reading for some time now. Thank you for your insight. I am now pregnant and love reading from your last.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Hey, you're back, Hot dog! I've missed you. Lovely post.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Alex said...

What a lovely post. I don't come back so much, anymore, but glad I stopped by today to see if, by chance, there might be some update.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home