Friday, September 21, 2007

Twiddle, twiddle, do, re, mi

With thumbs a-twiddle, I'm passing the time, whistling tunelessly, waiting for this too-boring-for-TLC baby-delivery show to get on the road. After the serious talking-to I got a few weeks ago at the OB's office, warning that he would almost certainly be showing up early, he is now officially tardy. There was one brief scare last week--I lost five weeks of fundal height in six days, necessitating a rushed ultrasound at the hospital, which proved entirely reassuring--but other than that there's been no excitement at all. Nada. Zip.

My parrot, Archimedes, is doing a perfect imitation of my aimless, random whistling, except that she has better pitch and volume. I am mildly jealous.

I'm 2 cm dilated, 50% effaced and having the occasional unproductive contraction. Sleep deprived only from the need to urinate five or seven or nine times per night and finding it difficult to squirm into any position that approximates comfort. I am, as best I can manage, ready: I want him out where I can see him, where I can touch him and where he isn't spooning so affectionately with my bladder.

I realize I will be hitting myself over the head with a cartoon-style skillet once I find myself in the agony of labor, and afterwards, when I haven't slept for a fortnight. But, patience and prudence be damned, I am READY.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bittermama said...

I was just about to email about how I was sure you were at the hospital having him right now! Ugh!

Come on, little man. Cut your mama some slack!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

now i'm beginning to think i have special powers, because i was thinking/wondering about you AGAIN earlier today, and here you are! i'll try to use my powers for good and get your little boy born this weekend!

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

I too have been thinking about you lots in recent days, and was hoping (for your sake) that this was an announcement! Hope he's safe, sound and here soon!

(I must admit to being a bit disappointed he did not come on his due date, as it was Talk Like a Pirate Day!)

5:59 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Wishing you all the best for a smooth delivery! Yay! :)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Cass said...

Doesn't he know his internet aunties are ready to meet him? Hmmm?

Thinking of you, hon.

9:31 PM  
Blogger wavybrains said...

I hear you on the patience thing--I'll be 42 weeks in a few days, and I too am READY!! May we both deliver next week! Hang in there!

9:32 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

C'mon out and play, little guy! I hope you have a very safe and healthy arrival.

10:31 PM  
Blogger soap said...

Best wishes from Greece!

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home