Friday, January 19, 2007

Good Blob

One gestational sac measuring ten millimeters, or 5W1D. I'm probably 5W2D, so close enough. Said the nurse practitioner, "It's about what I'd expect to see." Personally, it's not what I wanted to see, exactly--a nice fetal pole and a heartbeat and a little flag with, "I'll stick around till September" on it would have been nice--but expectation is a whole nother fettle of kish, as my late grandmother used to say. I was given a due date, which creeped me out a little, but as it is said grandmother's birthday, it had a pleasant ring to it nonetheless.

Blood for beta, progesterone and TSH given; not sure when results will come. Not sure what results will mean when they do come. What's a good beta for 5W2D?

The same NP saw me a couple of months ago for a possible infection. When she asked the inevitable question about birth control, I sniggered. (I mean, really: I don't think sniggering was out of line, considering not only the infertility but also the fact that I hadn't even had a period yet.) Undaunted, she told me one of those myriad urban legend stories about a former patient of hers (multiple IVFs, finally had twins, then got pregnant naturally...with twins). When I laughed and said something a little flip about snowballs and hell, she gave me a sideways smile and said, "You might be surprised."

Well, color me surprised. Or maybe stunned. Better yet, stupefied.

21 Comments:

Blogger Ollie said...

WOOHOO!!!! That kind of surprise is the best kind. Keep on keeping on little embie blob!

So it looks like we're pretty much around the same due date. Wanna be belly buddies? hahaha, ok, sorry, hard to say that without hysterical laughter. But seriously, I'll race ya!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for some time, and I can't tell you how thrilled I am for you and your family. I'm a mother of 2 after miscarriage. Please keep us informed... I can't wait to hear about your progress.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Bugsy said...

Yay - congratulations! A blob is a great start. Wishing you all the best.

8:47 PM  
Blogger elle said...

Holy moly, great news!

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Such good news! So glad for you!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

gestational sac sounds good to me. Will you go back next week for another scan?

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! September seems like a great month to have a baby, so I think I'll join you as well! You me and Ollie can race to the finish line...

10:38 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Congratulations on a great start!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I'm so glad you have good news.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugs. Wow. I hadn't checked your blog in a week or two, and I'm shocked, stunned, and feeling shivers for you. Snowballs and all. Congratulations?!

Pam (aka Wiggler from CFs)

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best, too.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Crossing everything that can be crossed for you! I cant wait to hear more and maybe even belly pics in a few weeks!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Here's to a good blob--may "it" get even better in the days/weeks/months to come.

So happy for you dear friend :-)

9:37 PM  
Anonymous laura said...

I still can't believe this has happened. You are now one of those urban legends. Craaaazy! I hope to hear more and more good news from you.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

5:24 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

WOW!! Looks like I picked the perfect time to check back in. I am rooting for you, and hoping you get good news about the beta. Will be checking back for updates. :)

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Pat said...

Delurking to say Congrats!
My first thought was "There's one person she wont have to tell... the babysitter"
LOL!
Great stuff, you urban legend.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Really amazing news. I am so happy for you! Go blob, go!

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blobs are good! I'll have you and your blob in my thoughts.

-Blue

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...just wow!!!!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous arden said...

congratulations! there must be something in the water--either that or the planets are finally lining up for us all. i will be 5 weeks 3 days today. my blob appeared last friday...waiting to see something more perky this friday...do you have any further symptoms or as i *mysterious lack of symptoms, but still preggers. please inform!

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home