Monday, November 06, 2006

I'll take "Thyroid" for $200

Answer: It has a "normal" range of .5 to 2.5 but likes to careen like a drunken ping-pong ball between .2 and 10.

Question: What is my TSH level, Alex?

Yeah. So, um, that PPD stuff I was talking about. I guess "getting medicated" will start, not with Zoloft, but with an increase of my levothyroxine. As my non-reproductive endocrinologist put it, with such articulate finesse, "Your thyroid has gone pfffft."

I will now be taking a "full replacement" dosage as, apparently, I am no longer making any on my own. TSH is now 9.9; four months ago, on the same dosage, it was 2.4. Pffft, indeed.

Now I just have to hope that it does some good.

. . .

After filling my new prescription, I went to the grocery store next door to pick up a few things. As I was checking out, the cashier handed me one small bag and said, with great earnestness, "Careful of your precious eggs."

Yes, in case you're wondering, I did reply, "You think those eggs are precious..." before remembering my audience.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

wow, hope it helps!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

I was diagnosed hypothyroid over a year ago. I do to a dr that prescribes large dosages - ones aimed at getting the symptoms under control more than aiming the normal (under)dosage. (As far as I know, mine's never reached 6. You are quite the overachiever.)

The website about.thyroid.com - or thyroid.about.com - has a lot on it. I'd be happy to talk to you, too.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous leslie said...

Been hypothyroid for years - was diagnosed after my last child was born more than 10 years ago. Replacement thyroid hormone is the difference between being functional and not for me - it's truly a magic bullet. You may well find that you have episodes of depression in the future if your thyroid levels get out of wack again - that's happened to me a couple times. Glad you got such an easy to fix diagnosis.

My doctor is big on Armour Thyroid rather than Synthroid - it's a whole thyroid replacement. He feels it does a better job of replacing all the various thyroid hormones than the synthetics. I've never taken the synthetics but it's something to add to your data in making decisions. and feel better soon!

6:00 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I was diagnosed hypothyroid a couple years ago. It definitely can play tricks w/ you.

Hope you feel better soon.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eureka! I'm so glad you've found a likely (and easily treatable) cause for your blues. And hypothyroidism can cause supply issues, too, no? (It hasn't for me, but I'm only mildly hypo.) So maybe getting the proper dosage will prevent the recurrence of that problem, too.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Tine said...

Oops! That "anonymous" above was me.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugs-

Please check out http://letsgenerate.blogspot.com/ re thyroid and pregnancy loss.

12:22 PM  
Blogger elle said...

hope this helps

1:56 PM  
Blogger Ova Girl said...

good luck bugs. hope this is indeed as leslie says a magic bullet.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Moxie said...

I am such an ass, and a shitty advice columnist, too, because I should have thought about thyroid and told you to have it checked.

I apologize.

But I'm glad you've gotten diagnosed now!

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, YOU're precious! I'm so glad you told her that, it's hysterical.

Am also very, very relieved you have a tidy diagnosis, and that it's something easily treatable. You seem to be responding brilliantly. *Chanting*No more blues, no more blues!*/Chanting*

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home