Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Outpaced

Olivia's lone daycare-mate, one day her junior, is crawling. Really, truly crawling. As in, moving herself with great facility from point A to point B--like, from her play gym to the nice caretaker ladies' kitchen. The very best Olivia can manage is to arc and squirm on her back for a few feet; less on her stomach. I'm not quite sure what is says about me that I flew home in a mild panic and started googling "developmental delay not crawling six months". Paranoid? Surely. Jealous, oh yes. Behind in reading my Mayo Clinic Guide to the First Five Years? Youbetcha. At least now I know that Crawly Girl is just being precocious. The showoff.

. . .


Did I ever mention that I sing her a lullaby to the tune of "O, Canada"? It is entitled, "O, Livia".

. . .

My breasts may have something against the metric system. Every time I pump, I get exact ounces. Two, three, four, five--always exact. It's never two-and-a-half or three-and-a-third. Weird, huh?

. . .

Have I told you that Olivia says both "Dada" and "Mama"? As for "Mama", she says it--or, rather, moans it--"Mamaaaaaaaaaa, Mamaaaaaaaaaa"--only when some great tragedy has befallen her, such as the removal of her banana-besmirched onesie or the glancing brush of her dainty head against any object firmer than the breast of a baby snow goose. But she says "Dadadadadadadadadadada" when she's thrilled by something, usually accompanied by her flashiest, gummiest grins and the vigorous jumping-up-and-down-while-holding-our-fingers maneuver she patented a while back. (I know--ha! She'll skip right past crawling and even walking and move right on to the pogo stick! Take that, Crawly Girl.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I've had my moments of panic, too. The twins still aren't crawling at 8 months, but I'm maintaining my cool (or trying to). Who knows? They might go straight to walking - or, like Olivia - to pogosticking.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous fawn said...

Try not to worry about it too much.Fade didn't crawl until he was well into his 8th month and on the same day he crawled he also pulled himself up to the couch. He made up for lost time!He also did not take one single step until the day of his 1st birthday.

11:36 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Everyone always says, late walkers, early talkers. And I've almost always found that to be the truth. Must be the same with crawling too. My son crawled and walked early (9 months), but he talked later. It can be a wee bit difficult to deal with a frustrated 18 month old who can't communicate but can practically outrun you. The little buggar.

Don't get caught up in all that comparing. Your daughter is perfect.

4:24 AM  
Blogger HomeFireBlue said...

I whipped myself into a frenzy about this with my first, spending anxious hours researching it.

Now, after determining that apparently all I can produce is late bloomers, I'm like ... meh.

Every one of mine crawls late, walks late (14 months), and talks late (almost 2). But my 4 year old can READ and write quite well, my 3 year old knows her numbers and letters and can write her name, etc, etc and all are quite athletic.

BAH to comparisons. I agree with the PP: Olivia is perfect and will do her thang at her own pace.;)

-Blue

5:56 AM  
Blogger Lindy said...

Ditto what the others said about crawling. It's not even considered a developmental milestone anymore because plenty of kids never even do it.

And I'm convinced that the REASON we assigned the names "Mama" and "Dada" as we did is because "Mama" seems to be the universal baby noise for "attend to my needs at once no matter how trivial they may be" and "Dada" seems to be the universal baby noise for "my, but this is fun!"

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home