Monday, September 04, 2006

So fast

Time is flowing away from me in a swift stream. Olivia is five months old today. Five months.

As I type, she is playing on her gym, pulling hard on the blue feet of the stuffed lion above her head. She can pull it off now on occasion, and it ends up--as does everything else--crammed in her gummy mouth, her small face a study in primal satisfaction.

She has become a very different person from the unhappy newborn who rarely slept. She loves to laugh--big, crinkle-eyed laughs. Today, she spent an hour jumping on my lap, grinning at me. She is generally calm, especially when Jeff and I are both with her. For about six weeks, she even let us sleep for a solid five hours each night, though she seems to have hit some sort of growth spurt in the last two weeks and wakes up to feed once or twice.

She propels herself in inches and feet now, half-bridges taking her wherever she is inclined to go. At the same time, she seems to have forgotten how to turn over from her belly to her back, flailing about like a flipped-over turtle when her energetic rolling leaves her with some unwanted tummy time.

Today, she surprised me as I was taking off her shirt, sitting up for a long five minutes as I ciricled my arms in the air around her, fearful of her toppling over and hitting her head on the the rail of her changing table. She seemed so pleased with herself.

I don't seem to be able to write much anymore; the current is moving so quickly and I can't find the energy to swim upstream. But I want to capture this moment. I have to remember this.

14 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I'm so glad that you found the time not only to capture it, but share it with us.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Katie (WannaBeMom) said...

She is. Seriously. Adorable.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Such a gorgeous girl!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kellie said...

She is BEAUTIFUL!

9:24 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

And what a beautiful moment.

7:10 PM  
Blogger InDueTime said...

Thanks for sharing, she is absolutely adorable!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Olivia is divine. I echo the sentiment of time moving so quickly. My baby is 17 weeks old and has started rolling on her side. I can't believe how much babies change every day.

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Menita said...

That girl of yours is stunning - a truly beautiful baby. I love how much you are loving all of this : )

12:23 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your baby is adorable.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I'm sure that sometimes she can be a PITA, but boy is she cute in those photos. But then she's always been gorgeous.

2:58 AM  
Anonymous patricia said...

that is one cute baby...

12:46 PM  
Blogger Ova Girl said...

And you captured it beautifully!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugs-

I keep meaning to wean myself from my internet habit once and for all. But I had a dream last night that I met you. I was on vacation with my husband & our Turtle. So were you, Jeff, and Olivia. The three of you were lying on the grass on a picnic blanket when I walked by and said, "Is that Olivia?" I'd recognized her by her beautiful eyes...

-ManhattanAnne

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Allison said...

Olivia is absolutely adorable. It is frightening just how quickly time passes. My daughter is now 12 and we were only recently looking back at photos of her when she was a baby. She was so small and delicate, now she is as tall as me and in her first year of high school in Spain.

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home