Wednesday, June 07, 2006

London calling

So. Ms. Who. The brand-new nanny. She has emailed to say that she's accepted a "fantastic" job offer in London. An "opportunity she couldn't refuse." That she has, in fact--between last week and this--already moved there.

I have to start work again fifty miles from home a week from tomorrow and we have no caregiver. Jeff has big contracts with two important clients, contracts he has been putting off till we had help.

In a way, I am relieved; I found myself strangely and selfishly bothered by the idea of someone else holding her, someone else changing her, someone else comforting her. But I know this is just a temporary reprieve: we need help. If we're to fulfill our other responsibilities, we need to work. To work, we need someone else to take care of Olivia.

Ouch.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cass said...

Oh, crap, hon. What lousy timing on her part. (Though, um, I wanna move to London just a bit, too.)

11:22 PM  
Anonymous away2me said...

I hope you can find another way. Not to sound all "Dr Laura" and all, but I can't imagine having to go back to work right now and leaving my 6 week-old son.

I hope everything works out! Good luck.

5:38 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

Now that just sucks! Totally something you do not need to be dealing with right now. Hope you find another nanny (with a better outcome next time)! Hope it's not too stressful to get through the interim while things work themselves out.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Dream Mommy said...

I just had the same problem as my MIL up and quit(we were paying her), telling me if I couldn't handle things, I didn't deserve to be a mother!

We have 2 days to find a sitter for 2 1/2 hrs a day for our little one!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Ova Girl said...

Ug! That's pretty crappy. Funny how nannies seem to just up and leave, not a whisper of warning...
Good luck, hope the perfect one turns up.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Oh I am sorry. I know all my friends here have a really tough time finding and keeping nannies. Are you going to delay going back to work? Can you?

3:28 AM  
Blogger GLouise said...

Good luck finding another cool Nanny! Or maybe she was just "too cool" to be a nanny? She is definitely cooler than I am. Ha! :-)

Best wishes,

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home