Saturday, March 25, 2006

The deal

As you get to know me, you will see that I hedge. I'm a hedger. I'm not big on promises, not big on absolutes. But for you--for you, my daughter-to-be--I will make some promises. At least a few.

I will have expectations. You will break them.

I will be impatient. I'll feel bad about it.

I will worry. Your father will worry more.

I will stare at you in wonder.

I will find you beautiful, even if you're not.

I will hurt when you hurt.

I will try to make the hurt go away.

I will hold you.

I will nurse you as best I can. I will try not to feel bad if I can't.

I will get frustrated. You will get frustrated.

I will learn to bake, but only if you really want me to.

I will feed you good food that you hate. Some day you'll like it.

I will not let you watch Barney. Some day you'll thank me.

I will always be old to you. You will always be young to me.

I will always love your father. So will you.

Today, we will love you more than yesterday.

Tomorrow, we will love you more than today.

We will always love you.

Always.


And I will tell you the story of how you came to be, some day when you're old enough to understand.

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I wish every mother had the forethought and the love in her heart to make a list like this.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Cass said...

Oh, Bugs, this is perfect. Just perfect. She is one lucky girl to have you and J as her parents. Really.

4:16 PM  
Blogger chris said...

That's lovely.

But we may have to talk about the "no Barney" thing.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Erica said...

I said the very same thing about Barney! That is until we stumbled across it on TV one day and my son's eyes lit up and he began to dance!! Needless to say we now have way more Barney stuff than I ever thought I would allow!

And trust me, when viewed through the eyes of your child, he's really not that bad after all.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous akeeyu said...

And definitely no Boo-bah, either, because that show is what happens when people take too much acid.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

What a beautiful list.

Could we add no Teletubbies to it, though?

4:10 PM  
Blogger HomeFireBlue said...

Great. *sniffle* Thanks for making me cry. That was wonderful.

As for barney, we don't watch telly at all and my babes seem to be coping fine, lol.

-Blue

7:01 AM  
Blogger Ova Girl said...

Beautiful.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Bugs, you've gone and given me the shivers and made me cry. How absolutely beautiful. I am so looking forward to the day when your daugther enters this world and you can tell her your promises as you gaze into her eyes. Sniff.

Oh, and I second the Barney - my girl hates it. And the Boo Bahs look like male organs if you know what I mean - creeeepy.

Anyhow, much love to you and J. as you await the arrival of little O.

Pam

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Wow that is a beautiful list. Wow. Just wow. Love m

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home