Thursday, February 09, 2006

Such a cliffhanger

Apologies for failing to complete The Great Shower Saga. To be honest, there wasn't all that much of interest to report on the frou-frou front: my sister unabashedly hosted the event in a rose-colored cocktail dress, pale green pashmina and four-inch glittery sandals; most of the invitees were gracious enough to comply with her ridiculous request to dress in the color scheme (which apparently extended to the actual invitations--I wouldn't have known as I didn't receive one myself); she made bags of nougat and jars of strawberry jam, all bedecked in fans and bags of the pale-green-and-rose wrapping paper that also housed her gift to us. The setting was lovely, if sickeningly sweet, and some of my oldest friends came. An us-centric anagram game was forced upon the group just as people were starting to get lubricated and loquacious after the second round of mimosas, at which point all conversation and laughter came to a screeching halt. We received a number of useful and charming presents--some of which choked me right up--and only one real dud (a sizable dud, my friends--framed and expensive and something I have made fun of for the last fifteen years). Did I mention that the husbands were refused invitation and ended up doing what society expected of them, i.e. playing golf?

So, enough about the shower. After the shower, we had our treat. I have not spoken with the ladies in attendance about writing up the visit, so I will not mention them by name. But let it be known that both Jeff and I enjoyed exceptional food and even better company in the presence of not one, not two but three of the smartest, funniest and most interesting infertile women in Blogland. (That description does not do justice, but I cannot think of appropriate superlatives.) Not to mention two of the husbands, who are--not surprisingly--equally smart and funny and interesting and superlative-y. Go figure. And these lovely women are also kind of heart, not minding my obnoxiously pregnant belly and offering me chairs and tea and such. If it weren't for the Unfortunate Incident of the Skunk in the Nighttime, I don't think I could have been pried from their presence with a crowbar--I was enjoying myself that much.

So, on to shower #2, hosted last weekend by a Bay Area friend who normally likes to emulate Martha but asked what I wanted and rolled with it. Ahhhhhh. Relaxed. Unisex. Friendly food, unpretentiously presented. Everyone laughing and talking and comfortable. The friend's neighbor with her adoped Chinese daughter, giving advice on what to eat in Guangzhou province when your match has been delayed. A friend carefully acknowledging our early losses in her thoughtful, moving card. We felt so richly supported, and so glad to have this friend-family already involved in our little one's life.

After the NST tomorrow, we work for a few hours and then take off for the special, just-us weekend I wrote about a while back. The one where I won't yet be too large or sedentary. Except, embarrassingly enough, that I am. I mean, I can't even get up from a chair without putting a hand to my back and staggering like a drunken pirate. So much for hiking the narrow cliff trails, I suppose, not to mention any chance of, like, romance. I'm really in it for the Cowgirl Creamery cheese and the Bovine Bakery sourdough boule anyway, so it isn't much of a loss.

14 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Cheese over hiking? Sounds great to me.

Have a wonderful time.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Cat, Galloping said...

oooh oooh, was it a thomas kinkaid painting?!

4:10 AM  
Blogger Lindy said...

So curious about the large expensive framed bad present.

Hope you're having a wonderfully sedentary weekend!

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Leggy said...

I'm with Lindy- very curious about the large framed bad present.

Glad that you had fun at both showers, even though they were very different from each other.

I remember feeling like the shower validated everything I went through- finally, I felt like something in the pregnancy was "normal."

6:33 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I am glad you enjoyed yourself in the end! I hope there were tears of joy and laughter!

Enjoy your last trip just the two of you hahaha!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Wavery said...

Have a lovely get-away then come back and reveal the frame you've been mocking all this time. I must know.

11:01 AM  
Blogger DeadBug said...

Ooooh, Thomas Kincaid is SUCH a good guess. So close. Add a touch of New Agey schlock by an artist whose name rhymes with "BARK" and you're there. It is not pretty, my friends. And large.

11:11 AM  
Blogger tracey said...

I know where you're going ! I know where you're going !Its the best. Love that bakery.

So you got SARKed ? So sorry. All in all it sounds like you were well showered by family and friends. So happy for you two.

Tracey

4:38 PM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Couple things...

You gave me SUCH a good idea for my sister's baby shower. I think the cocktail dress and glittery four inch heels are just the ticket!

Finally looked up Sark and, yeah... not so much. I think we should start our own website making fun of it and call it "Sark Snark".

And it was a really fun night, wasn't it?! Come back soon, y'hear.

Have a fantastic weekend.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Anna H. said...

Right now you are probably walking along the beach, watching whales swim by -- I'm so glad that you two are having a weekend away.

And I promise that the next time you're down, we'll arrange for less odorous and melodramatic entertainment!

Love to you.
xxoo

8:29 AM  
Blogger The Lioness said...

You're wathcing whales swim by??? Now I'm even happier for you! YEY whales! (pssst! What species? How close? Details please. Birds also welcome. Thank you.)

12:04 PM  
Blogger laura said...

Oh no, Sark. Yep, had a few graduation presents of a similar nature, but I was lucky enough to be able to open them in the privacy of my own home. I'm so pleased the showers were tolerable - gasp! even fun, maybe! - and you're off for a weekend of cheese. What could be better!?

I do have a question, though, which I ask for selfish reasons. At the co-ed, fun & comfortable shower, was gift-opening a part of the evening? While mandatory at female parties, it seems to be optional at the co-ed ones. Just curious how yours worked.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous thalia said...

The colour scheme sounds remarkably similar to our wedding. I hope that doesn't make you want to disown me as a fellow blogger. I'm glad you got some good gifts and that it wasn't too painful. I hope you had a lovely lovely weekend.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Samie said...

I have to laugh. I have no idea how i got started reading you, but I've been reading for quite a while now. I don't think i ever really noticed that you were in Ca even. But i know EXACTLY what lil town you are going to. I't less than 30 min from me. ANd that makes your story all the more intresting... Have a wonderful time, it's a perfect getaway place.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home