Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Malfunctioning and fat, but happy

This morning just after midnight, on the way home from work, I found myself whistling Die Fledermaus. I asked myself, Why am I whistling Die Fledermaus? I don't really like Die Fledermaus, it's after midnight, I spent every waking hour either commuting or working on an irrelevant and arcane project, my bra is cutting into the flesh of my ribcage, Jeff is going fifty miles an hour on a wide-open freeway, my anemia results came back not good and I am belching up little reminders of my carne asada super burrito.

But still I was whisting. I was downright cheerful, in fact.

Is this some sort of normal hormonal gift that kicks in at 28 weeks? If so, I'll take it. (Now, if someone could please investigate the cause of my utter inability to concentrate on anything for more than twenty consecutive seconds, I would be much obliged. I would investigate it myself, but, you know, the twenty-second limit is a bit of a hindrance.)

*Now for a little gushiness; readers beware*

Jeff, as the perfect ending to a seventy-hour, six-and-a-half-day workweek, had the idea that we should go shopping last Sunday evening. We had a few post-Christmas things to take care of--returns, some belated gifts to find for friends--and I thought that was what he was talking about. I was not, um, enthusiastic.

As we're trudging around in the cold of the outdoor mall, me wishing wholeheartedly that we had stayed home with TiVo, Jeff said, "Where do we buy baby clothes?" And, magically, a Gymboree store appeared not ten yards in the distance. I didn't have time to think, to talk myself out of it, and Jeff whisked me through the door. And...

He was entranced.

Tiny little clothes, soft and sweet, with charming stitching and details and colors. He kept picking things up--tees and onesies and bibs and hats--then nudging me, a look of smiling wonder on his face. Neither of us even tried to resist. We left the store with our overflowing bag, giggling at random intervals as we drove off. It was a delight, seeing him so delighted, and so expectant.

31 Comments:

Blogger LabiaLady said...

very sweet... very poignant!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

I'm so happy for you both! I sort of turned a corner at 28 weeks, too.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

I'm so glad you're feeling good!

My husband has been the same about the clothes... the first thing he picked out was a little cap/mitten set with winnie the pooh on it, so cute. It has been so neat to see him get excited.

I have been taking Slow FE (actually the Target equivalent) for my anemia since Thanksgiving, and as of last week's bloodwork my iron levels are right up where they're supposed to be. Just don't take it with the prenatal vitamin, it has to come at a different time of day. And don't take it with milk, calcium impedes the absorption of iron. (But vitamin C helps the absorption if you want to take it with juice or something.)

4:25 AM  
Blogger penelope said...

how sweet - the 50 mph thing would drive me bonkers!

my iron was very low and I've been drinking Floradix which doesn't stop you up and isn't that unpleasant - I was afraid of the iron pills and their side effects - I'll save my straining for when the baby comes.

I also noticed that I was feeling much more cheerful right around the time I was feeling much more burpy!

happy for you!

5:41 AM  
Blogger Dream Mommy said...

That sounds exciting!

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Lala said...

The 20 second thing is called Placenta head, that's what I've been told when I complain of absent mindedness.
I take a powdered shake called Spiru-tein that I get at GNC. It has the full complement of daily vitamins plus it's a nice between meal snack.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Jen said...

After they've been so supportive through our many neuroses, it's so thrilling to see them excited, isn't it?

Glad to hear you and Jeff are well, and happy.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Mellie said...

Keep posting the happy news! And I sure hope the job lets up soon.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Anna H. said...

I'm so happy for you two...

Much love to you.

xxoo

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Wavery said...

That is completely lovely. 6 1/2 days a week is not so much, but I'm happy for you.

8:39 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I'm all teary now thanks to that Gymboree story. I'm glad this made you and Jeff so happy.

10:08 AM  
Blogger April said...

So incredibly happy for you both. You deserve to be happy Bugs. So does he.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

That's so sweet, I'm happy for you guys. It's nice to hear the both are you are enjoying this happy time together.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous thalia said...

Aw bless. What a lovely picture you painted. I'm so so glad that you are both now able to be excited!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

So sweet! I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. And for what it's worth, 18 months post partum I still have not regained any semblance of an attention span (or memory, for that matter). The saddest loss is not being able to read anything longer than a magazine article because I just can't stay focused on books anymore. Sigh.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Menita said...

What a sweet, happy moment. Glad you guys allowed yourselves to enjoy it!

12:49 PM  
Blogger sherry said...

first, it's calleld placenta head. It'll pass, eventually.

That hubby of yours, he's a keeper! Hope it was a wonderful excursion. :)

6:13 PM  
Blogger tonya said...

You brought tears to my eyes with what you wrote. What a sweet and lovely experience you had, and I'm so glad for it! You deserve every moment of happiness.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Millie said...

What a great shopping trip. So very sweet.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

So sweet!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Catizhere said...

AWWWWWW, that's so sweet!!
I love baby clothes shopping. Everything is soooo little. When we were registering for Maggie, the sales girl made the mistake of giving Joe the scanner-gun-thingie....We were registered for anything thad had "Daddy's Girl" or "I love my Daddy" on it.

We've always called it "Baby-Brained"

8:29 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are getting in on some of that crazy joy that other expectant couples experience so easily. I can just see you two leaving the store with the huge bags and the even huger smiles.

11:17 AM  
Blogger kristenL said...

I am so happy to read this.
Also the baby brain doesn't get better after the baby gets here :)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

How much do I love this entry?
A lot.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Day said...

Getting teary. So very happy you can finally experience that joy!! It just gets better and more intense from here!

7:47 PM  
Blogger instamom said...

cute. cute. i love an excited daddy!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous wessel said...

Oh my! What a GREAT husband you've got there! Very cute.

I think your fuzzy brain is due to the high levels of progesterone, which makes you sort of sedated and slows everything down. Progesterone has a calming effect on the mind. For pre-menopausal women who have too-high estrogen levels (along with too-low progesterone) and are irritable and can't concentrate because they are too jittery, progesterone actually can help with concentration, because it brings them into balance. But for a pregnant woman, the progesterone is on overload, so sort of like too much of a good thing, and you get a bit slow and fuzzy. Don't worry about it. It will get better. Later. Much later. :-)

4:26 AM  
Blogger MC said...

I'm teary as well. It is a lovely post.

1:04 PM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Oh it sounds just wonderful! Good to hear you sounding so happy.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'm so delighted (and teary) for you both as well! Wishing you many more overflowed bags of baby stuff!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Kath said...

Bugs, you put a huge smile on my face. How wonderful to see you looking so happy -- and the picture of you two shopping for baby clothes was a great awwww moment to start my day.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home