Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Hard to contain

A world of sadness is in my heart, and also a world of joy. How can these contradictions be contained in such a small space?

There has been so much to celebrate in the infertile world these last few weeks. Friends, whom I have laughed with and cried to and admired and rooted for, have received the news that they have yearned for above all else.

There have been stories so remarkable, so full of joyous surprise, that I am slack-jawed in elated wonder.

In the midst of this sea of happiness, other friends are in too much pain. Unpredictably bad news strikes, and the path to motherhood gets longer and more twisted. For some, the other heartbreaks of life swarm in from the blue and take center stage. And when someone who has been there for me--and for so very many, and at every step--gets hurt yet again, I know that there is no such thing as fairness.

I'm so happy, and I'm so sorry.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lindy said...

You put it beautifully. It does seem that there's been a rash of great news on the blogs I read, but that seems to make the terrible news that much more terrible.

And wow... "admire"? I'm blushing...

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Menita said...

Yes. Perfectly said.

7:50 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Amen. It's a mix of happiness and sadness all the time in the blogworld and I wish it wasn't so.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Wavery said...

Nicely said Bugs.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous nate said...

hi,
i am totally anonymous but came upon your page because I was helping my daughter with a project on helpful insects being killed by agricultural insecticides. Krazy huh, (dead bugs lol)

but anyway, i just read a little of your blog and just want to wish you well. I hope all works out for you and yours. Relax, be healthy in your mind first, your body will follow.

happy holidays,
nate
nyackerman@yahoo.com

7:28 AM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Very well said. I guess that's how life is.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

You are a marvel and so gracious, my dear. Perfectly said, indeed.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Aw, shucks, Bug. You are really lovely.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home