Saturday, November 26, 2005

People seem to think we're having a baby

Or, maybe, a garage sale.

Our cramped basement has suddenly sprouted a swing, a bouncer, a car seat, a playpen, several gargantuan and mysterious but colorful plastic items in varying stages of dismantlement, three stuffed animals and a hardly-used Baby Bjorn.

I am the last of my family, friends and extended acquaintances to get myself pregnant--a consequence both of my advanced age and of the fact that most of my friends, though infinitely fertiler, are a few years older. The resulting swarm to give us stuff--physical, baby-smelling, bulky stuff--has caught me off guard. I was quite prepared for them to give--and me to selectively absorb or ignore--advice, assvice and the like. But all this stuff...well, it just seems so premature. And so real.

I'm not minding it; don't get me wrong. Not at all. It is thoughtful and kind and generous. It just, for want of a better term, trips me out. Because you can't look at this stuff and not picture it in use. And, I mean, wow. That just starts to blow my mind.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lindy said...

I'm glad it's becoming more real to you, Bugs. And hey - free stuff! Wa-hoo!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

I've been surprised by the free stuff, too. Even my hairdresser gave me a bunch of things. It seems so weird.

But nice, too.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous wessel said...

Freebies and babies--what could be better! :-)

So you're just past the halfway stage--wow, that really is amazing.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I've heard one of the most perplexing things about babies is they grow really fast, so all the cool stuff you bought just a little while ago has to be replaced with more stuff. I hope the mind blowing continues.

11:27 AM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Yikes! And exciting too! Hey woman, after all the emotional crud and money you have spent getting pregnant, you deserve all the free stuff you can lay your hands on.

11:37 AM  
Blogger fisher queen said...

Enjoy it! You've definitely earned it, free or not!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous pixi said...

What a wonderful way to be overwhelmed. So glad that you're finally getting to experience it. Just think - your little daughter using all that stuff. How great is that?

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home