Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The long, slow exhale

The rest of my life--the slim portion that doesn't revolve exclusively around my pregnancy--is plugging along at a tiring pace. But, then, everything is tiring at this point; I've even started taking elevators up a single flight of easy, wide stairs, which embarrasses me no end but is better than the heartracing and wooziness that any exertion brings about. I am told that this will pass one day, and just hope that day gets itself here in a quick hurry.

Work is hectic and frustrating and full of unmakeable deadlines, but is also better than before because my sweet, sweet Jeff is there with me every day, plugging away at the same mind-numbing projects. (Yes, we spend every minute of every day together. And we like it. Shut up.)

Tomorrow morning, we rent a van and drive to the City of Angels to pack up my grandmother's house. It will be a lot of work, but I will rest easier when it is done. And that sweet, sweet Jeff (have I overdone it with the "sweets"? Are you nauseated? I will stop) has found a way to fit Nam's brocade couch into the if-all-goes-well future nursery, where he has a vision of reclining on its burnt umber softness while the tiny Devo lies supine on his chest. This picture makes me want to cry, in a sloppy-happy-pregnant sort of way.

Two astonishing things today: 1) I saw a doctor who was not an R.E., and 2) I had an ultrasound for which I did not have to strip my skivvies. Hard to credit, but it's true. And, to my vast relief, there's still a living fetus in there, and his head, at any rate, has finally caught up: he measured 13 weeks 0 days; I am at 13 weeks 0 days.

I think this is the point where I may start to exhale. Tentatively, of course, and very, very slowly, but I think I might just try it nonetheless.

27 Comments:

Anonymous chinkis said...

Am soo happy for you.. Way to go Devo!! Take care and dont strain yourself any bit.
Luv
Chinkis

11:38 PM  
Blogger Miss W said...

So glad things are going well so far!

Thinking of you.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Alexa said...

Enjoy the exhale. Really.

Perhaps Jeff could carry you up the stairs...

5:39 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

Glad Devo is doing well and that you're breathing easier now.

Good luck at your Gram's this weekend, try to take it easy.

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Molly said...

13 weeks! You're almost out of the all-important first trimester. Congrats.

6:26 AM  
Blogger k said...

Congrats on making it to trimester #2 (the "most comfortable" trimester, right? ... but only relative to other trimesters). I hope you get some of your energy back soon. Jeff sounds wonderful.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous leslie said...

so glad for you! Getting past the first trimester should hopefully mean less fatigue too. fingers crossed!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

Exhaling is a good thing. Glad to hear things are going well and that your dear sweet hubby is so helpful and dear and sweet.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Jen said...

So glad all is well, my dear. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one winded by extremely simple physical tasks!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Mudbug said...

HOORAY!!!! The fatigue does actually get better. Just not as soon as it should.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Mellie said...

I hope you can exhale, and sing and shout with joy! And sweet, sweet Jeff should too. You guys deserve some bliss.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Glad Devo is growing so nicely. Good luck at your grandmother's this weekend. Don't lift anything heavy.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Debbie1788 said...

I am so very excited for you. Enjoy the Exhale, you deserve it.

Be careful this weekend. We don't want any scares with you or Devo!

Take Care!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Go Devo, go! It must be such a relief to finally get some "normal" news - hope the rest of the pregnancy is filled with nothing but!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Lindy said...

Three cheers for normalcy!! I almost never hear of a wee one who mesures exact to dates! Good luck with your Nam's house. And yes, Jeff is indeed sweet for thinking of incorporating the couch into the nursery.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Tine said...

Yay! Enjoy the additional oxygen you'll get from breathing normally again. It'll help with the fatigue. :)

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Sonya said...

Wow, an ultrasound with skivies on? Never got that far but it sounds wonderful. So happy you're there and you've caught a bit of a break. All the best to you!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*blech* - you and that "sweet" hubby of yours are making ME naseous and I'm not even pregnant. Seriously, so v.v. happy for Devo and his BIG head. Congrats Bugs. You deserve this exhale.

Pam

2:17 PM  
Blogger kristenL said...

wonderful news.
hurray for the 1st trimester.
the idea of jeff with the baby on his chest makes me feel weepy and loopy too.
yeah!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

Wow, you're a third of the way. Seems so soon, but then I'm not the one being nauseated. Congrats. Hope you can enjoy it to its fullest.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Z said...

and we all slowly exhale right along with you...CONGRATULATIONS!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Measuring to dates! What a great, red-letter day. Many congrats.

8:33 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Sounds great.

Have a safe trip.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Menita said...

Grinning from ear to ear.

11:08 AM  
Blogger amyesq said...

That is amazingly wonderful! It's about time that thinks look up for a bit. Hope you have a great time down here.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

It's great to hear things are going well for you now.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Glad Devo is growing and thriving. Taking that first deep breath is a bit of a scary thing, isn't it?

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home