Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Devo

That last week has been a muddy, foggy blur of driving, mourning, working, driving, cleaning, driving, crying, driving and relief.

Jeff and I hosted my grandmother's memorial gathering at her house in the Southland, cleaning up the dust left by months of disuse and the strange greasy scum that settled over her belongings. Her plants appear to have died around the same time she did, though it's likely due to my father forgetting to water them and not some cosmic connection.

At the memorial, the old man talked incessantly and without my prior authorization to all comers about my "happy situation". Elderly ladies patted my slightly protuberant belly and told me of their own pregnancies, way back in the day. There was the woman whose three daughters were born in successive years on April 2, April 3 and April 4, and whose son was a month out of synch the next year, arriving May 5. I smiled and admired her fortitude and resiliency in managing four children under five. (She said it was nothing--"Of course, we didn't work back then." Not work. Funny. With the energy required by my job, I could care for about one tenth of a baby, even now with the twelve hour days, or perhaps power a low-wattage, eco-friendly lightbulb.

It felt unspeakably odd to be the object of congratulations from people who knew nothing of our situation, especially as I was sitting there with a small pit of dread building in anticipation of today's twelve-week ultrasound. I had to stop myself from adding "if we make it that far" when asked my due date.

But the pit of dread was for naught. The scan today was a good one; the first unequivocally good scan since we started. He* is growing well, though still behind by a few days. He has a fairly strong heartbeat. He has hands, and legs and teeth--teeth!?

As we watched the monitor, the IVF Coordinator made little peeping and oohing and squeaking sounds; she'd never seen one this big, since they usually turn over their pregnant patients to OBs at eight weeks. The stoical Dr. Meow smiled as he moved the focus and pointed out the bits and pieces--the umbilical cord, the feet, the ears, the jaw--and even grinned when the little guy did a full-body jerk. Which he then repeated, rhythmically but spasmodically, a la "We Are Devo".

And since it's about time we started to call him something other than "the lump" or "the little guy", I think that's what we'll use: Devo.

Whip it good, my young fellow.


*No, we do not yet know the sex. He just seems boy-like to me so we've settled on "he" for the time being.

35 Comments:

Anonymous Alexa said...

I am so unspeakably glad the scan went well.
Whip It Good, indeed.

4:21 PM  
Blogger The Lioness said...

Hi Devo. *WAVE* What Alexa said, please.

ANd Bugs, sweetie, I seem to have missed a crucial post, I don't know how it could happen, I am so sorry abt your grandma, and so sorry I am only telling you now. Much love.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Anna H. said...

Yep, what Alexa said. Taking a good, deep breath down here in La La Land.

So glad you got some good news after such a rough weekend.

xxoo

4:40 PM  
Anonymous T said...

I'm so sorry about your grandmother, but so happy that you had a great scan!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mudbug said...

Well thank God. I am indeed pleased to hear about Devo!

5:56 PM  
Blogger persephone said...

Biiiiiiiig sigh of relief over here. Way to go, Devo.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Lindy said...

Huzzah for Devo! Your post reminded me of attending H's grandmother's funeral when I was 12 weeks pregnant with G, only you put it so much better than I could have. It was the first time I'd been "pregnant" in front of people who didn't know how scary the whole situation was for me. Also, G's grandpa kept feeling me up in his effort to pat my belly (given how early in the pregnancy I was, he was pretty accurate in his aim).

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good news Bugs.

I'm sorry about your grandmother. Very happy about Devo.

xxoo,
Emily

7:09 PM  
Blogger Cass said...

So glad that you and Jeff and Devo are back and all doing pretty well despite the emotional drains. And I am thrilled beyond words that the scan went well.

7:27 PM  
Blogger LabiaLady said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother.
I love Devo! If Devo is a boy... I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunities to whip it! - sorry, is that inappropriate?
I'm glad you had a good scan.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

It's great to hear you have finally had some good news.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Chinkis said...

Wow that's gooddy goody news!! Was getting a bit worried when you didnt post for many days. Keep your spirits up for Devo. Praying for you and take good care!

9:31 PM  
Blogger steph said...

I am so thrilled for you- glad to see you back, and really glad to hear the good scan news.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I love Devo and I love that the scan went so well.

I'm very sorry about your grandmother.

5:44 AM  
Blogger VHMPrincess said...

I'm so sorry about your grandmother, but almost in tears with happiness (ok, i'm a bit sappy) about the wonderful scan!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Galloping Cats said...

I totally don't get the "We are Devo" part. What does it mean?

Anyway I'm happy for the good ultrasound. The one at 12 weeks was the most satisfying one I ever had because I got to see the full view. All the ones after that, they were zipping through so fast just to get their measurments and I never got to see and appreciate all of him!

Also, for the record, I was *sure* I was having a boy at 11 weeks... and I was right! :)

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Lala said...

Phew! I feel like I've been holding my breath for you.
Good news about Devo!

6:48 AM  
Blogger fisher queen said...

you need to get him a little hat now.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Whew, good news. So, so glad to hear it. Here's hoping the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful, healthy and happy!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations on getting such great news!

8:51 AM  
Blogger kristenL said...

I am so glad and relieved to read good news.

11:35 AM  
Blogger April said...

"Crack that whip - give the past the slip."

I can just picture little Devo with the red flowerpot hat.

12 weeks. I am absolutely speechless.

Thinking of you.

1:09 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Good for you.

I think your doctor may be a dork ;-)

Take care.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

April beat me to it.

I can just see you having a flower pot wearing 'mater loving kid.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Whip it Devo...and congrats on the good scan.

4:25 PM  
Blogger K|nneret said...

Congrats, Bugs. This is excellent news :)

4:27 PM  
Anonymous thalia said...

Thanks goodness. I'm so pleased he's doing well.

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Libby said...

It's a beautiful world we live in
Sweet romantic place

Such wonderful news about Devo.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Menita said...

Devo. Devo. Devo. Sing it loud, sing it proud.
So relieved, with you!
I am very sorry about your grandma though.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Wavery said...

What a nice thing to see. I'm thrilled for you and little Devo.

Best,

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I"m so glad the scan went well. That's wonderful news.

Jody

7:53 PM  
Blogger Elle Dee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'm glad the ultrasound went well. I'm so envious of your 12 weeks. I hope for even one week sometime soon. :-)

4:28 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

So glad to see this post. Go Devo Go!

And hugs to you Bugs for getting through so many insense ups and downs at the same time.

3:11 PM  
Blogger wessel said...

Congratulations on making it this far. You know that the odds are VERY GOOD that you will make it all the way now. :-)

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Kath said...

I'm so glad about the scan, Bugs. What great news!

You've been through so much lately. My condolences on all your losses. May everything be joyful from here on in. Go, Devo, go!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home