Tuesday, July 05, 2005

My sister, the asshat

Yesterday, in the course of one short taqueria lunch, my beloved sister said the following:

1) Referring to an acquaintance who is having fertility problems: "Why don't they just adopt?"*

2) Referring to a friend of hers from work, who recently had her third child: "She ended up bottle-feeding the third one because she said she 'just couldn't get her to nurse,' if you can believe it. I mean, come on, how can any mother not get her baby to nurse? It's natural. What would she do if there wasn't any such thing as formula? Would she let her baby starve?"

3) Referring to her personal enlightenment over the sixteen years since she had her first baby: "You know, I used to be a lot more judgemental. I mean, I still think having a natural birth is by far the best way, but I guess now I don't really blame women who choose to get the drugs. I mean, I still think it's wrong, but they probably don't know that. Or women who stop breastfeeding at six months instead of a year--I don't judge them as much anymore."

*Note: Just for the sake of clarity and context, the acquaintance is in a roughly similar position to Jeff and me. Basically, my sister was saying, "Why don't you just adopt?" After a moment's frozen disbelief, I gathered what calmness I could find and proceeded to disabuse her of the notion of "just." She did not seem properly chastened, but I think the message entered at least the outer layer of her self-absorbed consciousness. And I am fully prepared to hammer it home, Thor-like, if provoked.


P.S. Day 4 estradiol at 788. Ultrasound tomorrow.

23 Comments:

Anonymous Jen said...

You know I'm always on hand for ass-kickings when necessary!

So glad to know your sis is less judgmental--would've loved to have spent time with her in her super-judgmental days of yore.

Hope your stims are going well, my dear--thinking of you & sending you lots of good-responder vibes!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

That's an incredible Day Four E2! I'm sorry that your sister was so insensitive. Good luck tomorrow.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, what a lunch!

Your day 4 number is absolutely wonderful!

Emily

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, the "no nurse, BAD MOTHER" comment is a personal button of mine. Throughout the ages there have ALWAYS been mothers, from time to time, that couldn't nurse for what ever reason. No, they didn't let their babies starve. Ask your sister if she has ever heard the term WET NURSE. And then bop her on the nose for me.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

Can't wait to hear what the u/s shows tomorrow! As for your sister, I'm not sure I want to hear about anything she says again. Glad you gave her a talking to about the "just."

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Leggy said...

Ugh- the "why don't you just adopt" crap is my personal bug-a-boo. We are about to start IVF #4 and I'm tired of hearing that. Then you get Paula Zahn talking last night about IF and the lengths people go to "to have a child of their own" and it just makes my blood boil (go see my post today if you didn't catch her show last night and aren't sure what I'm talking about.) When will people start getting a clue about IF and develop some sensitivity (or at least manners)?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

I look forward to your cycle update tomorrow. Good luck.

Sensitivity, it obviously doesn't run in families. Doesn't in mine, either.

9:35 PM  
Blogger chris said...

You're a saint. I just hope the food made up for it.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Beaver Girl said...

what was she like when she WAS judgmental?

3:07 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Next time your sister opens her big mouth do me a favor... hand her a dollar and tell her you need to her to out and buy a fucking clue!

5:38 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

I'm so surprised that they allow posting from prison now, you did kill your sister, right?

Glad to see your E2 numbers are looking good. Hope tomorrow's u/s goes well.

6:14 AM  
Anonymous reprogirl said...

I hear ya. My sister has a tendency to indulge in asshattage also. What do you do when the drive-by is someone you are biologically obligated to love? It is a problem.

Much good luck.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Day said...

Ugh. So sorry you had to endure that lunch. Why didn't she JUST ADOPT? Your sis sounds so sheltered - so naive. Bop her on the head once for me, will ya?

Awesome E2 numbers by the way. Everything is crossed.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Tiff said...

Good luck at the ultrasound AND with your sister. Wow.

9:39 AM  
Blogger HomeFireBlue said...

Uhh ... for the sister I have no words except: is she related to my Mum? Way to ruin lunch, sis, thanks!

Sending you good vibes!

-Blue

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christ-y on a beanpole.

I hate the just adopt line. I hate it with so much hate I could concentrate that hate and blow up galaxies with it.

Go you for handling it the way you did, sweets.

karen/naked ovary

2:53 PM  
Blogger Anna H. said...

Now that is some good lookin' E2!

Keep us posted, my dear.

xxoo

3:01 PM  
Blogger kristenL said...

Eager to hear the results of your ultrasound. Good Lucks!

re: sister, jeez. I don't know. She should Just shut her fat pie hole.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Internal Spring said...

Wow, your sister makes me glad I have a brother I don't talk to! She needs a slap or something, seriously.

Congrads on the great day 4 numbers and good luck with the u/s.

5:15 PM  
Blogger amyesq said...

So how far did you get the rolled tacos up her- Oh, sorry. Couldn't control myself there for a second. But seriously, good luck with the stims!

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Ollie said...

Wow. Quite the asshat. At least she ADMITS she's judgemental(with focus on the "..mental" part).

4:08 AM  
Blogger wessel said...

If one kills one's sister, is that called fratricide, or what?

Congrats to you for not committing a homicide. You are a better woman than I.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how those who say "Why don't you just adopt?" never seem to have done so themselves.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home