Friday, July 08, 2005

Mile Nine

If this were a marathon, my sciatic nerve and patellar tendon would start to throb just about now, and I would be choking down my first pack of PowerGel. On the 24-hour IVF News Channel in my head, I see myself looking a little gimpy--but determined--in my knee-length running shorts and silly purple bib.

It's about mile nine, I'm estimating, and there are seventeen or so to go. I'm on a nice steady downhill for the next bit; a chance to catch my breath and look around at all the nice people waving and offering bottles of water.

I'm bruised, I'm tired and I'm content. I brought a fair helping of dread to today's appointment: What if my E2 decided to take up pole vault and they had to cancel me? What if one of my follicles took off on a 100-meter sprint and they had to cancel me? What if they had to cancel me because all of the follicles boinked on the stims, with nothing left but tiny ovoid notes of apology that could be deciphered only by ultrasound?

But none of those things came to pass. My E2 has slowed down just a little--1312, where it was 778 on Wednesday--so no worries there. And there are still "twelve or thirteen" follicles growing steadily at around thirteen millimeters, with a half-dozen stragglers that may or may not catch up.

Final ultrasound Sunday morning; trigger scheduled for Sunday night, with retrieval Tuesday morning and transfer Friday. Which, if we get there, will take us to about mile twenty. Those last six miles and change--the hardest six miles--will no doubt be filled with the slow, painful limp of waiting.


P.S. A couple of people asked what I did differently this cycle, so I thought I'd provide more details than anyone could ever want. Here goes:

Started with six weeks of low-dose birth control pills, with a five-day break in the middle. Began stims five days after the last BCP. This time, we're using 300 IU Follistim in the mornings and 225 Folli plus 75 Repronex in the evenings. After Wednesday's ultrasound, we added .5 ML Ganirelix Acetate to the p.m. shot. The key difference for me seems to be not using Lupron.

17 Comments:

Blogger Mudbug said...

Here's some water for you.......looking good!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

I'm so glad that everything is looking much better this cycle. It's scary having that constant beat in your head of "let it not let it be like last time," but it sounds like you have wonderful coaches on your side!

I'll be thinking of you next week as you near that finish line!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good! You're almost there. Sending much love and luck your way.

Emily

5:19 PM  
Anonymous T said...

A fair helping of dread is a constant in this race. Good luck!

5:53 PM  
Blogger cda2 said...

Sounds so good! May you not only finish but WIN the marathon!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Menita said...

Thinking of you and sending every positive vibe I can catch your way!

4:16 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Count me as one of htose on the side lines cheering you on too!

4:26 AM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Whoohoo go Bugs! You can do it! Hang in there. Bugs. Bugs. Bugs.

-Amyesq
(with my face paint on again)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Em said...

I know that 24-hour channel...I've added you to my blog. Really enjoy reading your blog.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Oh Bugs. I am egging you and Suz on so hard as you both stagger along. Come on follicles!!

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~stealing some facepaint from Amy~ Go Bugs Go Bugs Go Bugs!

Julie "tales from the stirrups"

6:52 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

Sounds great Bugs. I'll be thinking of you today while you trigger.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous B. Mare said...

Good luck dear Bugs, am thinking of you!

9:12 AM  
Blogger JennaM said...

I've always been partial to miles 10-15. (Well that is if you're not counting mile 26!)

Don't worry, the adrenaline's coming!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

So glad you're still running the race! Sending you much luck. May you get to cross the finish line.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I am so glad this cycle seems to be going well. I hope the good news continues to come in and that we all get to celebrate with you in the future. Many prayers heading your way.

5:37 PM  
Blogger K said...

I love the news channel idea! That's definitely what's going on here. I'm keeping you in my thoughts as you near towards ER and ET

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home