Monday, May 09, 2005

Things that are sharp and pointy and aren't my nose

OK, I have to admit: today was a pretty damned good day. We slept in, read your comments, ate mind-blowing apricots, sorted through several hundred of our books--I found my missing copy of Persuasion and a little novella called Mrs. Caliban that had apparently snuck behind the gardening manuals in 1999--and then had some lovely, lovely nekkid time. I'm nearly convinced that there is a cyclical component to my libido, as it also happens to be right around ovulation time. That nature, it likes to reproduce. Not that there's an icicle's chance in the underworld and all, yeah, I know, but shit, we might as well. Especially when we actually want to.

Oh, and then there was this: I got an interview! Friday! 11:00 a.m.! For a job! Well, not exactly a job--more of a contract, actually, and it's a good hour's commute. One-way. But still!

Since I'm feeling so damned chipper and exclamatory, I thought I'd post a few pictures from our trip. Or maybe a slew.


Dashing Ocotillo flower, Joshua Tree Posted by Hello


Jeff, visibly irritated that I am making him stand in front of an Ocatillo in the midafternoon desert sun. Posted by Hello


The cacti were more obliging. Cholla flower, Joshua Tree Posted by Hello


And they look neat and skeletal when they’re dead. Posted by Hello


More cholla, but with bug! (Not a self-portrait. Just to be clear.) Posted by Hello


There were thousands and thousands of them. They are well protected. If you touch one, you will be sorry. Trust me. Posted by Hello


Betcha thought we'd never get around to showing a Joshua tree, eh? Ha! Joshua trees grow just half an inch per year. There is one that is thirty feet tall. My head hurts when I try to do the math. More trivia: Did you know that Joshua trees are a member of the yucca family, and are surrounded by other varieties--the Mojave yuccas--that are also very groovy? Posted by Hello


See? Posted by Hello


Deserted backroad with thousands of lupines, Sequoia National Park Posted by Hello


Lizard confab, Hospital Rock, Sequoia. Posted by Hello


Your basic tourist shot of Jeff with General Sherman, the world's biggest living thing. There's a branch about 130 feet above the base of the trunk that is seven feet in diameter. A branch. No joke. Posted by Hello


King's Canyon National Park. This place is too surprising, too impressive and too humbling for me to get on film. Mostly I just put the camera aside and goggled, mouth open, muttering "oh my god" and "whoa" every few seconds. Picture a lush, narrow valley between sheer towering granite cliffs several thousand feet high, waterfalls rushing down their sides, ringed behind with snow-capped alps. On a clear, mild day. At sunset. With nobody around for miles. Then add a roaring, crystalline river, and swathes of wildflowers in white and periwinkle and yellow and red and pink and purple. Posted by Hello


Like this one, multiplied by thousands. Posted by Hello

OK, that’s it. Except for a little more trivia: California contains 1) the tallest living thing on earth (coast redwood), 2) the biggest living thing on earth (giant sequoia), and 3) the oldest living thing on earth (bristlecone pine), along with both the highest (Mt. Whitney) and lowest (Death Valley) points in the contiguous 48. It is also the only state that houses all eight types of the world’s primary ecozones. And with all of that, is it too much to expect that it could hold just one common little ten-fingered thing for me? Just one?

p.s. Anybody else figure this means what I think it means? Yep, that kid's gonna have one prize-winning squint.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Jenn said...

Congratulations on the job interview!

4:02 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

What gorgeous pictures!

And congrats on the job interview.

Also, I have Mrs. Caliban too. What are the odds?

susie
notahabit.blogspot.com

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Soper said...

720 years old? Do I win a prize?

Look at how cute you are!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

You are a very talented photographer! What a great trip that must have been.

Good luck on the interview. Let us know what happens.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Congratulations on the interview and thanks for the cool pictures!

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Molly said...

Darn it, Soper beat me.

Beautiful pictures, good looking couple.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures and good luck with the interview.

Personally, I think Renee is just hideous. Her face is just strange.

Emily

8:03 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

You two are a hot-damn couple!

I am so envious of that sunshine. We had a hailstorm on Saturday that battered all my bluebells to heck.

I am so glad that you managed to have a good time on your trip depite weird friends and the sadness prior.

PS. talking about Persuasion, I recommend the Jane Austen Book Club for a bit of Jane fluff.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Julie said...

A) I like a happy Bugs.

B) Those pictures are breathtaking.

C) If you don't mind a bit of unsolicited advice, I would try not to mention my libido during that job interview if I were you.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very nice getaway, I'm raging with envy.

Wavery

10:27 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

What beautiful photographs!

I hope the job interview goes smashingly.

11:03 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Good luck with the job interview.

Great pictures. I'm envious of your trip.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

How cute are you guys? And I love the Joshua tree pics. Good luck on Friday and I think you win a prize for soliciting assvice from Julie!!!! hehehe

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Day said...

Awesome pics! That trip looks like it was amazing. Best of luck on the job interview!

2:10 PM  
Blogger wessel said...

You are a very talented photographer. I enjoyed these pics immensely--remind me of the landscape where I grew up.

Good luck on your job interview!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Zarqa said...

Breathtaking pics! And good luck on the interview.:)

2:17 PM  
Blogger Internal Spring said...

Amazing photos - good choices for a trip! Glad there are some good things happening in your life and that you found Persuasion - one of my favorites - I'm very big on second chances. I wonder if your finding it is a sign?

2:51 PM  
Anonymous chasmyn said...

I love the photos, thank you for posting them! That must have been a lovely vacation. Beautiful!

BTW, that link at the end? Nothing there. What was it?

3:27 PM  
Blogger The Lioness said...

Lovely Bugs and Mr. Bugs. very pretty.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

Wow, quite restorative. Thanks for sharing. Seems like it worked on you, too. So good to witness.

I want to paint the cholla flowers, so gorgeous and I love the composition - pastels class assignment in 2 weeks is a flower, but she wants the pic to be our own.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Ova Girl said...

Thankyou. These pics are just gorgeous.

1:30 AM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Gorgeous pictures. I actually dragged my husband upstairs to look at them. Don't you just love California? We went from LA to Lake Arrowhead this weekend and were also remarking on how many different climates we have.

Good luck Friday!!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Lala said...

That's one hot Bug!

5:52 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I have just a couple of comments...
1)good luck with the interview
2)gorgoeus pictures
3)and, DAMN you are beautiful!

10:42 AM  
Blogger TigerJen said...

Thanks for sharing the great pics! You are adorable!!!

Good luck with your interview.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

Just wanted to wish you luck at your job interview tomorrow. Knock 'em dead, bugs!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I don't mean to go all Georgia O'Keefe on you, but damn that's some fertile imagery in those photos! Good luck.

10:22 AM  
Blogger sue said...

抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社,徵信,主機代管,虛擬主機,專屬主機,實體主機,獨立主機,網域申請,網頁空間,推薦虛擬主機,網域,網域註冊

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home