Thursday, May 26, 2005

Going, going...

...soon to be gone.

Once I finish up about twenty consecutive hours on this damned training manual I've been writing, we'll be zipping down to the Southland for a couple of days to see Nam and my father. Should be back to blogging Tuesday or Wednesday, unless I'm literally buried in work--which is entirely possible, considering the numerous Douglas Fir forests my recent printings have decimated, and the resulting hillocks of 8.5x11" paper that are precariously close to toppling upon my person.

(I realize I am gravely belittling my own job, but I have to wonder: Why, oh, why does anyone print training manuals for simple, self-explanatory, GUI-interface programs? Who uses them? And, if someone is interested enough to want some piece of information contained in said manual, wouldn't he rather just look it up in the online Help menu?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I have no idea. Print is a powerful thing, but I do hope that you enjoy getting away from it for a while.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Have a great weekend!

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Louise said...

I'm working on a rewriting and restructuring a manual right now for a speaker company whose selling feature is a stero system wired throughout your house or building. It can be controlled from every room. It's a good idea, in principle, except that they are already obsolete. No one is going to put money into a system like that when everything is going wireless. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why this company is revamping their user manual for a product which so clearly will not sell.

But as long as I get the paycheque, I am happy.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Internal Spring said...

Oh gosh DB, I feel so bad, I almost never read those instruction manuals, but I'm resolving right now, from here on out to do so, knowing that maybe, just maybe, you wrote it.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

After being away for your big week, I just wanted to say 1. congrats on the new job - I'm SO excited for you and 2. I'm so relieved for you about your grandmother. I hope this is just the beginning of a new wave of change bound to envelop you.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home