Friday, May 13, 2005

Bugger, bugger, bugger

Had the job interview this morning. Distressingly, the position sounds even better, which will make the disappointment that much worse. I could telecommute often, the project might be extended indefinitely, my would-be boss is kickass smart, the facilities are hip and new, a cooper's hawk lives in a tree in the parking lot and...

...I want it.

I really want it.

I really, really want it.

I mean, I would be writing for a living. Tech writing, sure, but still writing. And it would be tech writing for the I.T. department of a biotech company. It just has Me! Me! Me! written all over it.

After I interviewed with the first guy, I felt like it was mine. He was excited, liked my writing samples, loved the idea of having a seasoned IT manager doing the documentation. The whole thing seemed preordained. I thought we might even wrap it up right on the spot. But then the second guy came in, and I just couldn't get comfortable talking with him, especially when, in his thick Eastern European accent, he said that, after reviewing my resume, he "didn't want to insult my intelligence by asking about my experience, because anyone who could string two sentences together could do the first part of the job." I said I was pretty sure I could string two sentences together, but might just draw the line at three. He got it but was not amused.

They're interviewing several other candidates. And I probably won't hear anything for at least a week.

In the car on the way back, Jeff--who very sweetly drove me down so I could keep blabbering out random answers to imaginary interview questions in the car without endangering the lives of other drivers--said, "Well, with our luck, you'll probably get the rejection call the same day your period arrives."

He's probably right.

But, goddamn it, I want it.

MY job.

MINE!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I hope you get it!! It sounds so perfect.

And LOVE the photos below. I have some similar pictures in an album upstairs. We did a driving tour of CA for 3 weeks. One of my favorite vacations ever!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Jenn said...

You'll get it. After all this entry had at least 10 full sentences.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Cass said...

I think some people just shouldn't conduct interviews. If they're going to suggest that they'd rather hire a trained monkey, they clearly shouldn't be talking to prospective employees.

That said, I'm going to stick with your impressions based on the first guy and cross all crossables that it works out. And hope that you won't have that much interaction with the second guy, should it come to that.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous susan / holdingpattern said...

Hi Bugs,
I hope that you get the job. I'm wondering if it might be near my office, which has oodles of biotechs within spitting distance.

Susan

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crossing all my parts and wishing you luck.

Emily

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They would be foolish idiots not to hire you!

Hope it all works out.

Moogielou

10:33 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

If they are looking for the best person to do the job. then you'll get it!

Good Luck

4:19 AM  
Blogger steph said...

The first guy sounds promising, and the second guy- well, he just doesn't have a sense of humor- I'm sure he can see greatness when it's sitting right in front of him.
I hope you get the job.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Everything crossed, here. Sounds like you'd be perfect for the job and the first guy thought so too.

I do communications for IT and I like it lots. Good luck!

susie
notahabit

5:53 AM  
Blogger Lala said...

I understand the frustration, I had one of those good guy, bad guy things going at the last interview I had. Still gets me when I think about I. Come and see my tulips

6:06 AM  
Blogger Internal Spring said...

It sounds terrific, I hope you get it, if they don't give it to you, they're fools and it wouldn't be all that great to work for idiots.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Cricket said...

Who was the hiring authority?

Judging from my past experience, the first would be a lower level, but the one who has to work with you directly. The second would be the another level of approval, or not.

If it is a cool company, they'd trust the guy who would work most closely with you to make the hiring decisions.

Right?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Crossing all crossables and willing to vouch for your 3+ sentence capability.

10:18 AM  
Blogger K|nneret said...

I have my crossables crossed for you! You are most obviously the best candidate. I don't need to meet the others to know that :)
Let us know!

12:20 PM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Very excited for you, my dear Bugs! I mean, I want to say how could you not get it with how great you are, but who the hell knows, anyway? Wishing you very much luck.

2:06 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Best of luck...I hope it's good news. I love what Jeff said; it sounds like something I'd say in those circumstances.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

Having writing, any writing as part of your job is a fantastic thing. I'll have my fingers cross for you.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Anna H. said...

Sending all good vibes to those people so they make the right decision... keep us posted!

xxoo

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home