Saturday, March 12, 2005

Needling

Thanks to all who commented for the ideas and commiseration on the Blogger woes. I'll definitely be researching the other free services.

So, I started the Lupron shots yesterday. I'm to inject them in the upper-inner thigh gloop--of which I have plenty, thank you gorgonzola--each morning at around 9:30. Actually, I should clarify that I don't have the spine to do the shots myself (the damn thing is still missing; not even a post card), so J. mans the syringe while I offer up a piece of pinched flab and close my eyes like the big-ass chicken I know myself to be.

Now, the needle is tiny, even by my sharp-phobic standards, and it can't be more than half an inch long. It's also wisp-thin, hardly thicker than one of my more robust hair shafts. But for some reason, it just does not want to slip cleanly and quietly into my thigh. Instead, it stings for a second as it starts to press into the flesh, then makes a rather horrid popping sound when it penetrates, reminiscent of the vacuum seal pop as someone in another room opens a fresh bottle of Snapple.

Don't get me wrong: it doesn't really hurt, just stings a little. Even I, Queen of the Wusses, can't complain of pain. But the sound is a mite disturbing. Pop! Like I have a tough leather hide that has to be muscled through.

J. has shown great skill in his past needlework--only had one small bruise from the dozen Gonal-F and Follistim shots he so expertly administered back in January. I can't figure why this would be any different, except that he's working with a different patch of fat. He's coming in from the right angle, and he doesn't seem to be taking it too slowly. Sure hope he hasn't lost his injectibles touch, as it looks like we'll be up to a full four daily shots*--yes, I said four--starting March 25th.

*Was to have been three, but, according to my IVF coordinator, Repronex can't be mixed with Follistim in the same way it can be combined with Gonal-F (something to do with the way they package the drugs for mixing? I didn't get the whole story.). Gonal-F is not on my insurance company's formulary, and they haven't yet been persuaded to make an exception. And, you know, what the hell, what's one more shot when you're already reminiscent of a Christmas orange? (Do you know what I'm talking about? It's a winter Valencia poked full of whole cloves till the fruity sphere is nearly covered in aromatic brown bits. Then you hang it in your kitchen and it fools the neighbors into thinking you've baked a pumpkin pie. Did everyone make Christmas oranges in kindergarten, or was it just me and my super-kooky school?)

12 Comments:

Blogger amyesq said...

Mmm.. I can smell those Christmas oranges. Sorry about the "Pop" that would definitely weird me out. Now I am going to be listening when I do my PIO tonight. I hope your spine shows up. It isn't made out of pencils, is it? If so, I think I found it.

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/WebsandThumbs/KAM_Over%2BOver/spine_b.jpg

5:50 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I remember Christmas oranges...mmmmm. HOpe the shots go well...and I agree that a pop would be disconcerting.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous deborah said...

Bugs, is your RE okay with you doing the Lupron shots in your stomach? I used to hear the popping noises when I used my thigh, but my belly seems to provide a nice, squishy, pop-free target. Just a thought.

I love both Snapple and Christmas oranges, by the way.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are called pomanders. Oranges or lemons stuck with cloves and cured in cinnamon and orris root. They smell heavenly.

And good luck with the shots.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Leggy said...

I feel for you babe. We're going to be starting all that up again soon.

Have they given you estimated retrieval dates?

I'm excited for you. I hope a year from now you are holding the fruit of this effort in your arms.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Anna H. said...

Will be thinking of you as you shoot away...

xxoo

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No advice on Lupron shots, as I've never gotten that far. Good luck with the shots.

xxoo,
Emily

8:02 PM  
Blogger HomeFireBlue said...

I also vote for stomach vs thigh. Hubby is a Type 1 diabetic and has to shoot himself abt 4 times a day and prefers the stomach.

That's all the assvice I can offer since the only thing that I've personally stuck is animals (hundreds!) but I don't think I can compare you to a sheep or a horse, lol.

Oh and send me some good weather! I've been in a highly aggravated state of Tomato Lust because of you. *wink*

-Blue

5:21 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I switched to thigh for Lupron this time around, and liked that much better. But mileage varies of course!

Good luck to you!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Day said...

I used to adore making Christmas oranges.
I currently shoot up Lovenox twice daily, and have to rotate between tummy and thighs (arms were given as an alternative, but, no thank you). The tummy is definitely more comfortable than the thigh. I don't hear a pop (ouch!!!) when I shoot in the leg - it just stings like holy heck and stays uncomfortable for a while. So I hear ya sister. And it took me about 6 cycles of IF treatment before I could shoot up on my own. One time when my husband was away on business, I remember sitting on my bed, holding the needle, crying while I tried in vain to psych myself into poking myself. At some point I got over it (took awhile though). Assvice (sorry): ice, ice and more ice. Good luck!!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

I am such a wuss that I completely panic if I can't use the injector pen! I always use the copious tummy area as I get to play Join the Dots eventually.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Zarqa said...

Not for nothing, but I had the same problem with thigh pricking last year. It just hurt a heck of a lot more than tummy pricking, which I just started last week in preparation for a FET hopefully this month.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home