Monday, February 14, 2005

The Plan

We saw Dr. Meow on Sunday morning, and our plan is confirmed.

I start BCP tomorrow and we go from there with the Lupron, Follistim, Repronex, etc. Retrieval should be the first week of April. We'll be doing ICSI and a three-day transfer of up to three embryos, if we are lucky enough to have that many. If we have the great good fortune to have spares, we will freeze them.

Meow is very hopeful, which I find odd. He believes that the problem is likely an enzyme deficiency on J.'s part, one of the thousand that facilitates fertilization but for which there is no test, and that we have a better than 50% chance of the IVF working each cycle since ICSI bypasses the need for this theoretically absent enzyme. When he said we were "excellent candidates," I had the misplaced sensation of receiving an undeserved promotion or bonus, that he must not really know me to say such a thing, but that I'd better not correct him.

Meow's numbers are outstanding and certainly back up his claim, but I am not much comforted yet. Perhaps I will take heart in them later, once I can find two cold stones of hope to rub together for a spark.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jen P said...

Bugs, I hope you find those 2 stones soon.

Dr. Meow sounds like he's got his head on straight, something that separates him from the rest. I'm sorry you're heading down this path, but I'm glad you've got someone like him helping you along. And I wish you guys the best.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an excellent plan, and not just because it is exactly the one I'm doing now.

I'll send you my drug tray when I'm done.

-AB

6:06 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

You're my hero -- what size should I make your cape?

4:28 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Those stats do sound good, so I am definately holding onto Hope for you. Glad to hear that we're cycling at the same time with almost the same (IVF with ICSI) plan!!

6:09 AM  
Blogger E. said...

Huge congratulations on moving forward, Bugs! I'm hoping hard.

7:45 AM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Sounds good to me, Bugs. Also sounds a whole lot like my protocol. Will be keeping everything crossed for you.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Bugs, I love it when a plan comes together. You will not be alone in this.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Tiff said...

Nothing but good news from here on out, ok!? :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger twirl said...

I'm hopeful for you!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous B. Mare said...

Big step brave girl. I'll be wishing you well, all the way.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Hey Bugs, we're doing our IVFs at about the same time. I too will have a retrieval (if all goes well) in early April. Let's hope the fertility gods congregate in full force over the Bay Area!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Day said...

(Bugs),
having been there, IVF is so much better than IUIs or regular medicated cycles...no more screwing around with stuff that may/may not work. IVF works...and if Dr. Meow is right about that enzyme (a suspected player in our infertility- Sal's sperm lacked some "forward progression"), ICSI takes care of it and you're all set. It may take a try or two (unsure of Dr. Meow's rates but with miscarriages, it takes on average 2.2 tries to conceive a baby you'll carry to term), but you'll get there. I know moving on to IVF is scary, because all you tend to think of is oh god what if even IVF doesn't work? But the fact is, it does. ICSI ups your odds significantly. Like Dr. Meow, I'm very optimistic for you!

Anyway, that's my long way of trying to keep your hopes up. Yeah, the injections and blood draws and constant ultrasounds suck, but you forget about all that when you see that first very faint positive on the pee stick 8dp transfer. You'll see!
Lots of hugs-

6:26 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Thinking of and hoping for you.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home