Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Giddyup, Trigger

First up tonight, I want to give my warm and heartfelt thanks to everyone who has been commenting. I have been feeling pretty low lately--tired, unwell, gloomy, Shallot-esque and all--but every comment brightens me up just a little bit, and your responses to my latest post made me feel as shiny as a halogen bulb. Thank you. You make such a difference.

Second on the bill, I thought I'd fill you in on this month's medicated IUI adventure. So...

Tonight's the trigger night. Already. I am a little freaked out by it--not the shot itself, which is just another subcutaneous abdominal shot with a smallish needle--but by the whole stimulation process, by how it does what it does and what it means to be not just brewing but actually releasing multiple eggs that will, if all goes as planned, be courted fervently by the most attractive members of J's swim team on Friday morning. I suppose it's very presumptious to even worry about multiples, since the odds of any of them fertilizing--much less more than one--are Calista Flockhart-slim, at least if a year and a half of failure are sufficient evidence. I guess if the dish runs away with the spoon, donkeys fly and I do end up with twins this cycle, at least I won't have to struggle for names: Ovidrel and Gonal F. Bugs should do nicely, don't you think? Ovidrel in particular has a sort of Shakespearean ring to it. (Shouldn't rule out Panama so cavalierly, I suppose. Maybe as a kicky middle name?)

As an aside, I feel a little achy, tired, nauseated and am off my feed--even oats, sugar cubes and carrots spanikopita and babaghanouj. I also have oddly tender nips and trouble remembering important things, like last night when I was about to go to bed and J. reminded me that I hadn't had my shot. My question is, Are these normal side-effects of the Gonal-F and/or Follistim (I've been on both in the last week and a half, due to formulary restrictions at BCBS), or should I just blame my cold? If these are side-effects, gods help me when I'm on the big girl doses for the IVF in April.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

19 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Bug...a lot of what you are experiencing are side effects of the meds...and a lot of it is due to your cold. Ha...some help I am. Best of luck dear.

6:46 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

I can't remember a damn thing right now. I can't remember when to take my shots, I have no clue what date it is, I keep repeating the same things over and over to people, because I can't remember who I've told what, etc. You get the picture. These meds can definitely do a number on you. Good luck with trigger!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Day said...

Follistim did make me an airhead. Again, the cold probably exaggerates that. And don't rule out the multiples possibility! My PGD experience has taught me that there ARE indeed good eggs in there and it's an odds game of the right ones getting together with the good sperm at the right time. You never know.

I'm glad you're feeling better; I did read your prior post and sobbed.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Bugsy said...

I can't remember anything now and I am not on the meds!

Good luck for the trigger shot. May you be very Trigger-happy!

and all the very best for Friday morning - swim little fellas, swim!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Galloping Cats said...

Good luck, and I hope you don't have to find out what this is like on the big girl doses.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I (succesfully-so far) used both Gonal-F and Ovidrel for trgger--and let me tell you--They knock you on your ass! I thought I was already pregnant before we even did the trigger shot!. Both drugs are very potent (regardless of the dose) and I walked around in a complete fog for 9 days while shooting up. It's amazing I was even trusted with a sharp instrument during that time.
Enjoy the next few days and RELAX as best as possible during the 2ww. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

4:54 AM  
Blogger The Lioness said...

Bugs, I have been trying to comment FOR EVER and stupid Blogger took offense, there'll be cybergrief if I can't post this AGAIN.

First off, thank you. Yes, comments help tremendously. Right now, the blogosphere is what's keeping me afloat and I don't even find it abnormal. So glad I could help a tiny tiny bit.

Second, fingers crossed for you. May there be good eggs, may they be sperm-fancied, may there be a microshag and PLIM!, a baby. Yes. YES.

6:49 AM  
Blogger HomeFireBlue said...

Can't comment on the meds ... Jeezus i'm like that all the time! But I do want to say good luck, good eggies, and I'm thinking about you!

Go, baby, go go!

-Blue / the thrifty mom blog

6:58 AM  
Blogger ThreeBees said...

Wishing you all the best with the trigger shot and everything after.

8:02 AM  
Blogger E. said...

Ovidrel and Gonal F. Bugs -- HA! My critters are now staring at me because I'm sitting here alone laughing.

I hope the trigger went well, and that your eggs and your husband's swimmers have a regular cotillion.

As for the med side-effects question -- what was the question? I'm in a fog too. I think the meds are at least partly to blame, but I've had a cold too, so who knows?

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brain shut completely off on meds. I flooded the bathroom twice in one cycle because I turned the water on in the tub then wandered off. Both times I came back down the hall later and thought, "hey, it sounds like water running...aaaargh!" Just don't light any candles until it wears off.

Fingers crossed for you on Friday.

9:49 AM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I'm so naturally forgetful that I wouldn't know the difference. Best of luck on Friday, I'll keep you in my thoughts!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

I can't answer the question, but I can (and will) wish you the best of luck for the trigger!

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's hoping that your forgetfulness in April will be from a pregnant brain fog, vs a highly stimmed IVF ready brain....Good luck at the "pool party" tomorrow - happy swimming!!!!!!

Lori

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope all goes well Bugs -

Thinking of you

Moogielou

6:53 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

All my best for Friday.

Please, remember: that's tomorrow!

8:05 PM  
Blogger amyesq said...

Oh man, I can never remember anything, meds or not. I started writing "Take your meds!" on my hand in blue ink in big letters, but then people at my office started looking at me weird.

Please let us know how it went today! Hopefully you can remember how it went...

12:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I never had any side effects with Follistim, but once I started taking Repronex ... oh, my goodness. The joint pain was so intense, I felt as though I'd been hit by a truck. I have nothing else productive to say except, good luck!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Kath said...

I think your just becoming a little ambivalent. But you go cowgrrl.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home