Friday, November 05, 2004

Lightness

There are little spots of clearing in my head; places where the pernicious fog is lightening a little. I can feel the small tickles of warmth from bright external things again.

In order to help sweep up the rest of the gloom, like Carol Burnett sweeping up the spotlight at the end of the show, I thought I might come up with another list. A pretty corny theme this time: Things That Make Me Happy. Cheerful things that buck me up. Sunshine on my shoulder and all that. So here goes.


Meryl Streep's laugh

Car Talk

Apple pie (sorry, Julie)

Barack Obama

Swimming at night in a warm pool

Bison in Yellowstone

Space Mountain

Great blue herons

A fresh, ripe peach

The pilot of Arrested Development

Persuasion

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Panzanella (a la Jen)

Reading your blogs

Beethoven's 9th

The Philadelphia Story

My mother-in-law's inedible lime jello with carrots and celery

Jon Stewart

Indoor waterslides

My African Gray parrot's one-sided telephone conversations

The Chapelle Show's "racial draft"

"Fall at Your Feet" by Crowded House

This American Life

The close-up feature on our Nikon Coolpix 8700

Every minute of The Princess Bride

My tiny niece's blonde-with-black-tipped chimp-like hair

The fact that my father called it a "fright wig"

Bridget Jones's Diary (so sue me)

David Sedaris impersonating Billie Holiday singing the Coke commercial


Yep, I feel a little better now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel better now too, Bug :-)

Moogielou

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm making a list of my favorite things, too. Good idea. Thank you.

My solution has been to give money (money is easy for me) to a series of secular, progressive organizations (move on, NOW, National Center for Science Education, 80/20, an asian am organization that backed Kerry). I finally became a card carrying memeber fo the ACLU, deciding that not joining is no longer an option. We need to build, and continue to build, the organizations that counter the ones they've built.

bj

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home