Thursday, November 04, 2004

Amid the ashes...

...more ashes.

Where is the hope in this horror?

I cannot find any. I've tried and tried and tried. Tried to tell myself that even the sadness and anger can find useful outlets, can be turned into action, but right now, they can't. Instead, for me, it's simply time to mourn. Time to accept that there's nothing I can do.

So, I am mourning. Focusing on the grief and not the fury. Taking comfort in knowing that half the nation is mourning with me.

The anger in me wants to label all republicans as fools and bigots and zealots for eating the toxic pablum Bush has served up, custom prepared for their particular appetites. But that is unproductive and, in some cases, inaccurate. Some people were simply afraid for their safety, and willingly suspended their disbelief when Bush said he would protect them. I can't hate them for not wanting to face the truth.

So, I sit here and simply let myself feel the pall, the weight, of the tragedy. And hope that one day soon, I can find hope.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I'm astonished by the outcome of Tuesday's election and mourning right along with you. So hard to believe and harder to accept.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well put. The powerlessness that I feel because George Bush is "my" president, is akin to the powerlessness that I feel at my inability to sustain a successful pregnancy. I am grieving my for my interior life and my exterior life.

I hope we all get through it, but sometimes I'm just very scared.

Patricia
http://laf.typepad.com/

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home