Sunday, October 24, 2004

The news is in

Just a quick post to say that my dad's diagnosis is in, and it's Parkinson's. Found out a couple of nights ago.

He says he's not terribly distraught about it, that he was glad to be prepared for the diagnosis. He thinks he'll be able to live on his own for a while longer.

The medication that the neurologist discussed with him--he wasn't sure of the name--has side effects that include insomnia. Since that's been a life-long battle for him, he is holding off on treatment for now and will re-evaluate at his next meeting with the neurologist in January.

All in all, everyone's taking it pretty well--my siblings, my grandmother, and, most importantly, my father. There's still time, there are untried medications, and there's still hope that it will not be debilitating for him.

I guess I can't be greedy and ask for more.

3 Comments:

Blogger mmulibra said...

Sorry to hear that.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Soper said...

Oh Bug, so sorry. When we found out my grandmother had Alzheimers it was worse on us than it was on her. She patted my Dad's hand and told him it was going to be alright, she knew where she was going. There are some wonderful foundations out there that can help, let me know if you want me to look them up for you.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Just read this post about your dad's disease, and I'm so sorry. I hope he'll be able to find something he can take that won't cause insomnia. I'll say a prayer for him tonight.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home