Monday, June 28, 2004

Up, up and away

Today at noon, I lose my work internet access; on Wednesday at noon, I lose my job.

The company was for many years a small but successful enterprise; it was gobbled up by a hungry and inefficient hippo of a biopharmaceutical company in 2002. We were assured that the company bought us because we were important, special, would bring so much to the table. The reality was that they wanted our successful drug but none of the scientists or infrastructure staff who were working on new compounds. So, a year after paying $2.7 billion dollars for our little company, they unceremoniously fired everyone. I was asked to stay around for a year, along with a skeleton staff, to "transition" the data, equipment, etc. With the abysmal job situation in the Bay Area--especially for IT people--I stayed.

I can't say it was a bad decision; I have been employed through the worst of the recession, the mortgage has been paid, the intermittent nature of my husband's income has been ameliorated and I have a sizable severance plan to see us through for a while. But it has been hard to oversee the demolition of everything I've worked for since 1996, and to see my staff and co-workers faced with unemployment.

So, to pick myself up from this depressing place, we are hitting the road: I-5 North, to be precise, followed by the countless highways in six northwestern states and Canada. I will be without a computer or internet access for the first time in years. And, for the first time in a long, long time, I will also be without a slight twinge of dread as each new Monday aproaches.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you go?

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home